Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunking noise diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise diagnosis.

2000 ls1 6 camaro with a 10 bolt.

Recently while slowing down ive been hearing a pulsing/ clunkling noise comming from the rear end/ driveshaft area

Really start to hear it around 20mph and it goes with the speed of the car till a dead stop, fairly fast pulse/clunk, and i can feel it in the shifter slightly.
I know i have a pinion leak so it's possible that i may be low on fluid but it doesnt appear to be leaking that much.
Is this a sign that my ten bolt is on its way out?

Im just trying to figure it out cause im away at college and i have a 260 mile drive home next weekend, wanna make sure it can be done.

Pretty sure it turns into a whine while on the gas at higher speeds.

Other than that i havent noticed anything, cant really hear it while rolling back in reverse or when im on the throttle accelerating but that may be due to the exhaust.

Did a clutch swap two monthe ago and pulled the driveshaft out, dont think that would have an effect on the rear though.
Any ideas? Advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by TheoLoop; 05-10-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 PM

I also have the same exact noise. I have replaced the axle bearings and that did not change the noise. I would really love to hear from someone that may have an idea on what would cause this. My car is a 2001 SS with a six speed and 34k mi.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

What posi unit is in it? Is it factory? I swapped an eaton posi into mine back when it was a 6 cylinder and just had it start doing the same thing. Actually took it apart yesterday and round one of the keepers for the side gear clutches decided to pop out and wedge itself between the unit and ring hear and would hit the pinion as it spun. Didn't hear anything or feel anything till bout 20-25 mph. Slim chance but ya never know, pull the cover and take a look.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise diagnosis.