Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud Whooping noise coming from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Whooping noise coming from rear end

Hey Guys,
Wondering if anyone can help me. I am a little at a loss.
I have an extremely loud whooping noise coming from what sounds like the rear passenger side. It has been there for a while now and I have tried a few things already to get rid of it. I thought I would be able to live with it, and I have for quite a while but it is now driving me insane.
At first, I figured I had a bummed tire maybe with a bad belt. I have changed out my wheels and tires and it made no difference. Next, I changed out my rotors thinking maybe they were warped. Still nothing. I am leaning towards a bearing on its way out, problem is, it has been doing this now for quite a long time. Does anyone here have any suggestions or had the same experience?
Cheers.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure its not a whistle tip?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Teching In

LOL. No. Not a whistle tip. That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Just as bad as those fart boxes.lol. What ever it is, it seems to follow how fast I am going. So it has to be related to my rear axle or wheel. It sounds like a warped rotor but like I mentioned, I replaced the rotor and still there.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Need to pull the axle to inspect for pitting. I would guess you need a new axle, bearing and seal just by the sound of it. Nothing certain till you pull the axle though. Ever run it low on gear oil?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Teching In

No, I don't think that is it. The gear oil is good and has never run dry. It has been doing it now for quite some time. I had the car for a year and speaking to the guy previous, I was informed that it has been doing it for a long time before I bought it. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I was thinking maybe a bad bearing but like I mentioned, it has been doing it for a while and is not getting worse. It is not a metal on metal sound. More of a Warped brake sound but I replaced the brakes. It is just loud and annoying. I may put new bearings in just for the sake of trying it.
Quick question for you though, is yours a convertible also? Are you getting any noise like that?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent months with a sound that sounded like a tractor trailer was driving right beside me on the interstate, or even a helicopter as someone put it. Don't recall the exact miles, maybe 20,000. There's a thread on it and I did alot of research. My axles were pitted! I have a manual, and for months I never checked the rear. I had no signs of a leak on my concrete driveway, or at work on concrete. When I checked it, it was just about out. The famous front seal would let it leak while driving only. So make sure you check it. So i tend to agree with LopeyZ.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

A possible bad axle bearing?

Quick Reply: Loud Whooping noise coming from rear end