Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Diff Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
The s-trac has a lifetime warranty as well... have you talked to anyone about the strenght of the s-trac?
Does anyone know IF it has as much biasing as the Wavetrac, or if it 'ramps up' the same way (or is it just a much stronger than, but still low bias unit, like the Truetrac)??
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the bias ratio of the wavetrac? Is it as high or higher than the old T2R?
Old 06-14-2015, 05:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Anyone ever install a Wavetrac then ?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Anyone ever install a Wavetrac then ?
The Wavetrac is a very good differential and I have sold many of them, but as with most performance items, they do occasionally break. Every one that I have sold that has broken (that I know of) has been replaced by Wavetrac. Stevieturbo, you have probably seen this link, but for those who haven't, here is technical info on the Wavetrac that answers many questions. http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-14-2015, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The Wavetrac is a very good differential and I have sold many of them, but as with most performance items, they do occasionally break. Every one that I have sold that has broken (that I know of) has been replaced by Wavetrac. Stevieturbo, you have probably seen this link, but for those who haven't, here is technical info on the Wavetrac that answers many questions. http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm Bob
Yea I seen it last night.

Warranty when you're a few thousand miles away is always difficult and never free. SO yes it's nice they claim that....but when I hear of people needing that warranty, it raises a few concerns.
Perhaps the 12 bolt or wherever people are using them, the actual unit might be different strength wise than the 8.8" I use ? Or maybe not lol

Plus their warranty info states the warranty only applies when the diff is fitted to the correct vehicle etc. My axle is not in the correct/original vehicle

I use an 8.8", and almost always used a basic Ford Racing Torsen diff, and never once has it given me a problem in over 10 years.. Totally reliable and it is a sturdy and cheap item as far as I am concerned.

I will assume an 8.8" from Wavetrac should be equally strong...but what I want is something that will maintain some traction during tight corners, where at present I do lose out. Wavetrac sounds on paper as if it will do just that, so would like to hear some feedback in that respect.

Problem is...I'd also want it to be able to hold 1.5s 60fts with a manual trans 3700lb car should I decide to go to a drag strip again. Such usage will not be very often though.

I couldnt find anyone making a conventional friction plate type LSD for the 8.8", although TBH any diff that has a diff pin...well sooner or later it will break, so not keen on that route anyway even if there was one.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Every one that I have sold that has broken (that I know of) has been replaced by Wavetrac.
Have the ones you've seen broken (and warrantied) been in very high power, sticky rear tired, DRAG RACE cars (i.e.; typical for this site), which were launched to sub 1.4 60 foots, or did some of the more mild, lower powered, street tired and driven cars also break them??

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Choice