Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rebuilding a 10 Bolt Rear end easy or hard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a 10 Bolt Rear end easy or hard?

I just purchased the Ratech deluxe rebuild kit with everything including to build the rear end back to new. I just wanted to know is it hard at all to rebuild a rear end? I've never done such a task before? Any suggestions and comments are helpful ('99 Trans Am A4).

Thank you
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your skill.

You'll need to rent the pullers for the bearings or have a shop do it for $20 or so.
Save your large pinion bearing and grind the ID larger with a stone or take it to an engine rebuilder and ask them to hone it till it is a slip fit on the pinion.

I prefer to press the bearings on vs hammer them on. I don't think hammered on bearings will last as long.

Buy a beam type inch pound torque wrench on Amazon. Not a chinese brand one.
The high torque value you'll need is about 25 in lbs. So a 0-50 in lb wrench is about right. This wrench is only for rear end setup. Not many other things are this low of torque spec. But the wrench is cheap.
Save the box and protect the wrench. Never drop it ever! The wrench is cheap but the time and money to replace the bearings isn't.

If you'd ordered from Tom's Differentials you'd have phone tech support.
I don't know the two torque spec's for the little 10 bolt.

You'll need a wrench to hold the yoke while tightening the pinion nut.
I use a 24" pipe wrench from harbor freight and a 3ft pc of pipe slipped over the handle. You'll want two people if you don't have air power...

Put grease on the seals prior to installing the axles or pinion.

I found a shop with a hot tank large enough to fit my housing to clean it.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Read a bunch of write ups, watch youtube videos etc, then youll have a gut feeling. Go with it. Mine told me I could do it, and ive enjoyed every one ive done since. Its rewarding.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It not bad but there are many things that must be done properly. Its not like bolting a set of heads on. You must take the time to set the bearing preloads and backlash.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 10 Bolt Rear end easy or hard?