Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

M9 shortened 2" with 15x10 7.5bs wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M9 shortened 2" with 15x10 7.5bs wheels

So I have been looking at the Moser M9 for my Camaro but I can’t figure out what length to shorten it if any (I did search but didn’t find the answer to my question) I want to use my weld rt-s 15x10 with the 7.5 bs running a 275/60R15 but what I would like to do is shorten the axel 1” on each side so I can tuck the wheel without rolling or bending the lip on the quarter panel. Has anybody done this and kept the 7.5 bs wheels and if so do you have a pic?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...questions.html

I'm not sure you need to shorten the axles at all. Most people seem to shorten by 2 inches to run 5.5 inches of backspacing. I'm not sure what feedback you'll get but I'm also not sure that for the money the M9 is the best rear you can get.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I went one inch shorter on each side when I had my M9 built, and it worked out perfect with 15x 10x 6.5 back spacing. I'd say to go full length for your 7.5 bs. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. And Bob I'll look you up when time comes!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Switched
Thanks guys. And Bob I'll look you up when time comes!
Thanks, I appreciate it. Bob

Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We have built ours as little as 1/4 per side to do exactly what you are discussing. There is no limitations to what we can do with a MWC rear end package. Looking elsewhere with out talking to us first would be like throwing money away. We've done more to F-body's than anyone else on the market and that's why customers drop their vehicles off to us from miles away.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
We have built ours as little as 1/4 per side to do exactly what you are discussing. There is no limitations to what we can do with a MWC rear end package. Looking elsewhere with out talking to us first would be like throwing money away. We've done more to F-body's than anyone else on the market and that's why customers drop their vehicles off to us from miles away.
Perhaps he wants a good solid fabricated rear in a reasonable timeframe. Are you saying that a Moser rear is junk? Bob

Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing he would be fine with either rear. I personally read a lot of threads (not just on ls1tech) where people had issues with Moser setting up the gears, not sure if that is something that has been resolved. I personally went with MWC because no one else could do a watt's link on a FAB9, that was my personal deal breaker, also I wanted strange axles.

I'm guessing he could get an M9 with stock length in a couple of weeks though...
Old 05-07-2015, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold

I'm guessing he would be fine with either rear. I personally read a lot of threads (not just on ls1tech) where people had issues with Moser setting up the gears, not sure if that is something that has been resolved. I personally went with MWC because no one else could do a watt's link on a FAB9, that was my personal deal breaker, also I wanted strange axles.

I'm guessing he could get an M9 with stock length in a couple of weeks though...

I haven't had anyone with a gear noise problem with their Moser rear is a very long time.

Non powdercoated M9's in any length ship out in two days, powdercoated M9's ship in four days. Bob

Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

So I have been looking at the Moser M9 for my Camaro but I can’t figure out what length to shorten it if any (I did search but didn’t find the answer to my question) I want to use my weld rt-s 15x10 with the 7.5 bs running a 275/60R15 but what I would like to do is shorten the axel 1” on each side so I can tuck the wheel without rolling or bending the lip on the quarter panel. Has anybody done this and kept the 7.5 bs wheels and if so do you have a pic?
If you want to go .25 shorter each side, or .5 shorter each side, that would not be a problem. Thanks. Bob

Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

MWC 9" shorten 2" on each side. running 275/60r15 MT Streets without any mods on the body.
Attached Thumbnails M9 shortened 2" with 15x10 7.5bs wheels-dscn2477.jpg   M9 shortened 2" with 15x10 7.5bs wheels-dscn2474.jpg  
Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
MWC 9" shorten 2" on each side. running 275/60r15 MT Streets without any mods on the body.
What is the backspacing on the wheels? I ran 325/50/15's without having to bend the fender lip, this was with a 15x10 wheel with a 6.5 backspace, with the rear one inch narrower per side. Bob

Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Perhaps he wants a good solid fabricated rear in a reasonable timeframe. Are you saying that a Moser rear is junk? Bob
We have had a time frame no doubt but that is because the simple fact it is the best option and only TRUE fabricated or even stamped steel housing that bolts back into the vehicle like the 10-bolt came out, some have even said it bolted back in easier. Now that we are into our new facility our time frame has dramatically dropped as you can tell by our recent customer responses.

As for saying Moser rear ends being junk I don't think I mentioned their quality at all considering we sell Moser and Strange products. That is why a customer should call us because we have ZERO limitations on what we can do for them.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Looks great Johnny.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold

So much is involved with gear noise, it may not be improper set up it could be improper break in procedure, wrong choice of fluid, or not even enough fluid installed.

One thing about us and gear set up is the owner of the shop is the person that sets up each and every gear that leaves this building for our fabricated nine inches. Not some guy having a bad day that doesn't care what leaves the shop. He has a gear that won't set up to his standards he doesn't say well that looks good to me and tries to see if it fly's he goes and grabs another one off the shelf and starts all over.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

As for saying Moser rear ends being junk I don't think I mentioned their quality at all considering we sell Moser and Strange products. That is why a customer should call us because we have ZERO limitations on what we can do for them.
One thing about us and gear set up is the owner of the shop is the person that sets up each and every gear that leaves this building for our fabricated nine inches. Not some guy having a bad day that doesn't care what leaves the shop. He has a gear that won't set up to his standards he doesn't say well that looks good to me and tries to see if it fly's he goes and grabs another one off the shelf and starts all over.

Bob

Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

We have had a time frame no doubt but that is because the simple fact it is the best option and only TRUE fabricated or even stamped steel housing that bolts back into the vehicle like the 10-bolt came out, some have even said it bolted back in easier. Now that we are into our new facility our time frame has dramatically dropped as you can tell by our recent customer responses.
http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...ions-small.pdf
Here are the Moser M9 (fabricated) installation instructions. Post yours up so we can see just how much easier your fabricated rear is to install. Bob

Old 05-08-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can just use a customers response on the ease of install.

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Mine got delivered on Tuesday and I literally had it installed within a couple of hours, taking my time.

It bolts right in just like the original 10 bolt would, with all the factory bracket locations being in the same spot. That helped a lot making it an easy install.

I have the short chassis mount t/a and need to get used to some of the noise the spherical rods make, and also the posi unit when taking turns or over bumps. I set the pinion angle at -2*. So far, the rear is quiet and no vibrations.

I want to say THANK YOU MWC!! for your awesome product and great customer service. You guys always responded quick to my emails or answered my questions over the phone. I'll be giving you guys a call when I need more suspension stuff

It is a pretty straight forward installation BUT if a customer has questions about it they can contact us and we will answer any and all questions because we not only sell them we install them here in house and have a great understanding of how to do it and relay that information back to the customer.

Some times pictures and links are not the only way to help.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I can just use a customers response on the ease of install.

It is a pretty straight forward installation BUT if a customer has questions about it they can contact us and we will answer any and all questions because we not only sell them we install them here in house and have a great understanding of how to do it and relay that information back to the customer.

Some times pictures and links are not the only way to help.

That's what I thought. Bob

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MWC rearend customers will have the entire install job done before someone who got a different 9" rearend got back from the hardware and tool stores trying to find all the needed supplies to bolt theirs in.

When a MWC rearend is shipped it is a complete package. If someone is able to remove the factory rearend from their car the MWC package will be a breeze, no instructions, special tools, or parts needed. A lot of times instructions are not very clear or there are skipped steps.

As stated earlier MWC offers the best tech support available, and if there is any question we can handle the answers with ease due to our vast experience with 1000s of rearend sales and installs over the years here in our own shop. MWC is a full service chassis and install shop with real full time, office, employees, machinery, inventory, and years of on track and street experience to back it all up.

Quick Reply: M9 shortened 2" with 15x10 7.5bs wheels