Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how hot should a rear axle get, also viberation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how hot should a rear axle get, also viberation question

Guy brought me his car the other night. It has a fairly decent viberation around 55-60. It is in the speed and not the RPM of the engine. the previous owner had the Driveshaft shortened to fit a moser 12 bolt. Could the DS be out of balance? I haven't got the car on the lift yet to see if I can tell where a weight was welded yet. Also he says that after he drives it 45 minutes or so the axle housing is extremely hot, Hot enough you cant hold on to it. Once again I just got this car in the shop and haven't looked at it yet. How warm is common for the 12 bolts. Thanks
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Pinion angle could be wrong, the driveshaft could be to short, tires need balanced that list of possibles could go on and on. As for the rear end getting hot check to make sure it has enough fluid and replace the fluid anyway in case it doesn't have the correct velocity. If it is a clutch style posi make sure it has friction modifier added to it and I suggest not to use synthetic with a clutch style posi.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

never thought about pinion angle. im gonna get it in the air tonight. if the DS looks long enough we have a decent DS shop close ill take and have it balanced. He jusy had the tires balanced but didn't fix the problem. Doesn't really feel like a tire anyway. Ill drain the rear and refill.Thanks for the reply
Old 10-16-2015, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both rearends I've had that had 4.10s in them ran hot enough you didn't want to keep your hand on them. One was a 10 bolt and the current S60. My 107k mile 3.42 rear ran luke warm though.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear of my 9" housing is generally 130-140 degrees F (via laser thermo) after beating on it for awhile.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

I dropped the fluid and it looks good inside. Ill refill with some additive.
I think I also found the vibration. The u joint would move side to side on the DS joint. u joint looks good so they may have put the wrong on it or may have spring the yoke some when getting the old joint out. Anyone have the part number to that conversion u joint for a 1350 yoke to a stock LT1 DS?
BTW the DS seemed to be plenty long. Splines mesh at least 2 inches and it would just barely clear to get it out of the rear axle yoke. However just by eyeballing the Pinion angle looks to be way off, It may look much different on the ground pre loaded, Ill check it anyway.
Thanks

Quick Reply: how hot should a rear axle get, also viberation question