Truck 10 bolt in an Fbody (yes we can) - Page 3 - LS1TECH



Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Truck 10 bolt in an Fbody (yes we can)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #41
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
SparkyJJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,076
Default

Heck, even the V6 cars can blow the 7.5" rear. Mine has eaten a few in its lifetime... OK, granted that's only been at the track
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #42
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
BMR Sales2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 3,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r View Post
Or at the VERY least on the T56 cars. I think they must have underestimated how much that T56 transfers to the rear
For sure. Or as an added option, like part of the SS or WS6 packages. Give us something here instead of leaving us stuck with this glorified wishbone they packaged the car with.
That's what drives me nuts about these new Coyote cars. I'm watching them go 8's and 9's regularly on stock transmissions and rear ends. Imagine what our cars would be capable of with budget builds if they came stock with 12 bolts and 4l80's?
BMR Sales2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #43
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 3,770
Default

9" ftw
HioSSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #44
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
MidwestChassis2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
MWC Fabricated 9" ftw
Sorry I had to edit that for you.
MidwestChassis2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #45
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (2)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales2 View Post
For sure. Or as an added option, like part of the SS or WS6 packages. Give us something here instead of leaving us stuck with this glorified wishbone they packaged the car with. That's what drives me nuts about these new Coyote cars. I'm watching them go 8's and 9's regularly on stock transmissions and rear ends. Imagine what our cars would be capable of with budget builds if they came stock with 12 bolts and 4l80's?
imagine a 8.5" 4.11 option on the WS6.....

Would have sold some cars!
Darth_V8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #46
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
AnotherWs6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,316
Default

And it's what every one would be looking for today.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #47
TECH Resident
iTrader: (14)
 
zachm89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Longview, Tx
Posts: 790
Default

Something tells me the OP isn't coming back....probably so drunk he forgot what forum he posted this on.
zachm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #48
TECH Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,242
Default

Why would you get a S60 over a 9"? The extra weight is not worth it imo.
Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #49
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Ernie W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales2 View Post
^ Actually the Blazer Xtreme's also were available with a 8.5" on the standard s10 width with disc brakes and 3.42 gears

Curious to see the OP's venture into this as well. I have been debating on trying something similar starting with one of our bolt on mounts for our TAS systems for first and second gen f-bodies

I had a '99 s10 extreme reg cab short bed with a 4.3L 5-speed and it had a 8.5 10 bolt with the G80 locker and 3.08 gears. I sure do miss that truck.

I may have to look into the torque arm setup for my '80 Firebird that's getting a 6.0L 6speed.
Ernie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #50
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Ernie W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
I've decided on the S60 after seeing several heavy 7 sec big block turbo cars using them without failure. I want to just be able to not break the rear axle.

Now I damn hope Strange Engineering can crate it for me with IPSM 15 certified timber for international shipment.
A friend of mine has a 2002 turbo ws6 Trans Am with a s60 rear. Car makes 820ish rwhp and he recently bent an axle. Its on a 15x10 with 295/55-15 radials. Not sure how he bent it but the wheel had movement like it's bent at the flange, launching at strip he guesses. Strange did have him remove the axle shaft and mail it in for inspection. They said if it was bent they would ship a new one out free of charge. Has a three year warranty is what they told him.
Ernie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #51
11 Second Club
 
Launch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
A friend of mine has a 2002 turbo ws6 Trans Am with a s60 rear. Car makes 820ish rwhp and he recently bent an axle. Its on a 15x10 with 295/55-15 radials. Not sure how he bent it but the wheel had movement like it's bent at the flange, launching at strip he guesses. Strange did have him remove the axle shaft and mail it in for inspection. They said if it was bent they would ship a new one out free of charge. Has a three year warranty is what they told him.
Sure not just a bad axle bearing? Keep us informed on this im curious to know. But axles can bend at those power levels. But an S60 shouldn't sweat 820rwhp. If he bent an axle near the flange seems strange (no pun intended). I see axles bend on the splines more often.

Last edited by Launch; 01-31-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #52
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 3,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2 View Post
Sorry I had to edit that for you.
Lol....
I'm down with that. One is in my car
HioSSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #53
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
AnotherWs6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,316
Default

A couple fo short sentences, 53 posts later and "The Drunken 85" has not returned. That's his official name now BTW. Doesn't take much to get us talking about our shitty 10 bolts. I was just pondering what I would do if I took my car to the track and it exploded.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #54
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
SparkyJJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,076
Default

I know I'd cry a little inside out of frustration, get it towed home, and the car would sit for some time until I could afford to fix it.

No tracks around here so I think I'm probably quite safe though, given this axle got this car to 12.x on a few occasions without complaining and I ain't putting it under that much stress with just street driving. One of the few better built 10 bolts I guess, others didn't fair so well.
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #55
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,226
Default

I don't function well with broken parts. Mine started whining some so I immediately stuffed a FAB9 under the car. Did I need to? Probably not. Do I need 35 spline axles behind a currently stock ls1 on street tires? Doubful. Was it fiscally responsible? No. Does it look sweet when my car is on a lift? Hells yeah.
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #56
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
MidwestChassis2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
I don't function well with broken parts. Mine started whining some so I immediately stuffed a FAB9 under the car. Did I need to? Probably not. Do I need 35 spline axles behind a currently stock ls1 on street tires? Doubful. Was it fiscally responsible? No. Does it look sweet when my car is on a lift? Hells yeah.
Will the Midwest Chassis Fabricated Nine Inch out last everything else. YEP
MidwestChassis2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #57
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
No tracks around here so I think I'm probably quite safe though, given this axle got this car to 12.x on a few occasions without complaining and I ain't putting it under that much stress with just street driving. One of the few better built 10 bolts I guess, others didn't fair so well.
12s is rarely a problem for the stock 7.5" behind an A4; avoid wheel hop and you can go much faster with one. You might be surprised by how much they can often handle on the A4 cars. Check out this link:

Best 60 Foot on Stock 7.5"?
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #58
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 956
Default

So wtf happened here. I'm guessing it epically failed. He was so **** faced that all the welds failed and the rear end exited the vehicle at a high rate of speed.
MY_2K_Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #59
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
Carl at CRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2 View Post
Will the Midwest Chassis Fabricated Nine Inch out last everything else. YEP


You have done the easy part.

Carl
Carl at CRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #60
12 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
murphinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: southern Maine
Posts: 1,545
Default

That 8.5 torque arm is awesome BMR ! might make an 8.5 viable for us bolt on guys... a fab 8.8 housing would be better though so we can take advantage of all those cheap & plentiful 8.8 innards
murphinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where Is Everybody platinum Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) 6 09-17-2005 11:27 AM
is my sig too big? SlowTA Signature Testing & Design 8 08-28-2004 07:58 PM
Is the NOS Cheater solenoid too big for a purge? Scalpel Nitrous Oxide 1 07-30-2002 09:57 PM
Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler AndrewB Forced Induction 7 06-17-2002 01:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send