Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

NON ls1..4x4 related

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NON ls1..4x4 related

hey guys, this is not ls1 realted but maybee you could help me.. i have an 88 chevy pickup, i want to buy a trailor for my TA and tow it to the strip next year..problem is (as always,low on funds) i have a shitty gear ratio in my 4x4..it is a 3.42 and i used to have 35" tires on it..i stepped back down to 33's due to the gears..here is what i want to due..i would like to just put gears in the rearend and not the front for the time being..well after winter at least so i can use my 4wldrive if needed..couldnt i just take my front driveshaft out and let if freewheel and be alright? i NEVER use my 4 wheel drive unless its in teh winter since i moved to the city..and i dont use it if it doesnt snow (hasnt in 2 years) i would put the gears in the front when time/money permitted..the main problem as alot of you know is the PITA of the ifs setup on these trucks..my unit has close to 300,000 miles on it..(front ifs)..so i would like to just find a newer low mileage ifs pumpkin, put the gears in it and swap the whole assembly..i just would have money for the back next spring though..any thoughts?
matt
Old 10-29-2004, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt for me
Old 10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same truck with the same gears. Pulls a trailer no problem, but yes lower gears are better. My previous 88 had 3.73's. I don't think you even need to disconnect the front DS, as long as you don't put it in 4x4 it will never know. If you only use it in the snow, it probably would be ok.

I agree with your strategy of finding a complete replacement pumpkin, although I wouldn't worry about the mileage necessarily (although it would be hard to find one with higher mileage than yours LOL, mine has "only" 170k on it). However, be cautious about what gear you put in the rear, I don't think many 88-98's came with anything lower than 3.73's.

I run 33's too btw, 35's are too tall for negotiating curvy mountain roads.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youll be fine running different ratios in each pumpkin if you take off the front driveshaft. or at least i have been told, i will be doing it this spring.