Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears in a 9 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gears in a 9 inch?

Looking for 550rwhp/600rwtq on the bottle. Decided against the 12-bolt. I was going to go with 3.90's or 4.11's with the 12-bolt.
-Because of the extra weight and rotating mass, should I go with 4.11's or 4.30's instead?
I would think 4.30's would be high on the street especially with nitrous but I figured first gear would be a lot slower off the line with a 9" since it takes more time to build momentum. Any opinions on this?
-How much power/e.t/mph will the 9" cost me over the 12-bolt? Over the 10-bolt? Thanks- Mike.
-Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them?
-Should I go with a locker or a posi.? I don't drive this car everyday. More like every other day; and I never drive it in the rain or snow. I have heard lockers clunk when accelerating and decelerating but other then that they are much stronger than a posi. and much safer than a spool. Opinions?
Thanks guys- Mike W.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing. Can a locker whine? Does it have spider gears? Are the spider gears what usually makes a posi. whine? Thanks again.