Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Angle / My Moser Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Angle / My Moser Review

Finally got my Spohn adjustable torque arm in and installed it last night. Set the pinion angle to -2 degrees. (I had -7 degrees on axle, +5 on the DS). Heres what Spohn recommends:

-1 degree on a mildly modified daily driver
-2 or -3 for high horsepower and racing.

Even though I have a mildly modified daily driver I put it at -2 because thats the way I think. On coasting, I get a vibration, so you think I'd be better off going to -1 or -1.5?

This was the first time driving my car with the Moser 12 bolt with 4.11 gears. I consider myself extremely lucky, NO GEAR WHINE AT ALL!! (not yet anyway) I feel a little power loss from the 12 bolt but not much. Im just happy I can do 5k clutch dumps and slam gears all night long!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pinion Angle Recommendations:

Suspension Recommended Angle
Using Full Wolfe Race Craft Suspension - all solid mounting points. -1 to -1.5
Half Solid & Half Poly Mounting points -1.5- to -2.5
All Poly mounting points -2.5 to -3.5
All Rubber mounting points -3 to -4.5
The more you get away from having all solid mounting points the more the rearend is going to try and rotate upward during launch. Therefore the more angle you must start with to prevent the angle from becoming positive (+). The idea is that when the rearend rotates you want the angle between the driveshaft and the pinion would be 0.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

Originally Posted by rhaig
Finally got my Spohn adjustable torque arm in and installed it last night. Set the pinion angle to -2 degrees. (I had -7 degrees on axle, +5 on the DS). Heres what Spohn recommends:

-1 degree on a mildly modified daily driver
-2 or -3 for high horsepower and racing.

Even though I have a mildly modified daily driver I put it at -2 because thats the way I think. On coasting, I get a vibration, so you think I'd be better off going to -1 or -1.5?

This was the first time driving my car with the Moser 12 bolt with 4.11 gears. I consider myself extremely lucky, NO GEAR WHINE AT ALL!! (not yet anyway) I feel a little power loss from the 12 bolt but not much. Im just happy I can do 5k clutch dumps and slam gears all night long!

Last edited by stevemilz; 06-09-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Teching In

But doesn't more negative angle also mean more vibration if it is a daily driver (not a strip car)
Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

i did -2 and all is good gong past there is not a good idea from my research its too much stress for a daily driven car