Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whining with speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining with speed

stock 3.42 gears on my m6. i used to only be able to hear it on the decel, now its really loud all the time. it goes with speed not engine, so i'm guessing its something on the rear. i checked diff fluid and it was fine, i haven't opened it up tho. drivability is the same. What could be making this awful noise and still drive just fine??
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the bearings might be going out. Mine started howling and the bearing races were pitted. Of course, this was out of the blue. Mine was on decel, as well, and got louder as time went on. It is best to get it looked at before it causes further damage.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its bearings, now they want to charge $900 to get it fixed!!! that's F'ed up. they already had it apart so i really had no choice but to have those thieves fix it. and the worst part is this is $900 for nothing. maybe if i was spending $900 to get it fixed AND get 4.10s put in it would be a different story, even tho that's still overpriced. i hate dealerships!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

gm dealers suck...i just got ripped off too...524 dollars to replace a pinion seal...now its leaking again!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

so i pay the 900, now the noise is still there, AND i think there's a gas leak sumwhere. i've NEVER smelled gas before in my car until they messed with it!! now i don't know whut to do. if i take it back and try to make them fix it, they'll just say i have to pay more cuz i can't really prove that they did anything. this sux!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jermz77
so i pay the 900, now the noise is still there, AND i think there's a gas leak sumwhere. i've NEVER smelled gas before in my car until they messed with it!! now i don't know whut to do. if i take it back and try to make them fix it, they'll just say i have to pay more cuz i can't really prove that they did anything. this sux!
Found this thread really interesting, because I've had the same thing happening on my V6 Firebird with no mods. I'm a 46 year old mom that does not drive my car hard. I've had $1300 of work done on my car (light actuator, brakes, rear pinion seal leak, transmission service, oil pan replaced, oil sensor replaced), they now want between 800 and 1800 to rebuild my rear end. The symptoms you're describing are just like mine. I almost want to just get rid of it and get a new car, but I don't want to get rid of a 2002 that I love!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

My 10 bolt is starting to whine. I had the pinion seal replaced under warranty last Oct. Now its back to dealership and see if they will fix it.(7/75 warranty)
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

well i took mine back yesturday to have them hear the sound they didn't fix. now they're fixing it yet again. today i'm gonna try to get them to tell me whut made the bearings go, becuz they supposedly fixed the pinion seal that was "leaking" last time i went. here's why i don't think they installed it right and made my bearings go:

Mechanic that worked on my car told me this is the first firebird rear he's rebuilt
He also thought my car was an automatic after driving it....
The bearings went out 3000 miles after the seal was replaced, no problems or noises before that
They did an electronic diagnosis to see why my fuses were blowing, and never found the problem, just replaced the fuses. lucky for me people on ls1tech know whut they're talking about! so that's finally fixed

These people don't seem to know much about my car, and its a pontiac dealership...Also, would filling the diff with too much fluid cause any damage?? cuz i checked it and it definately wasn't below the fill hole. a steady stream came out and drained for like 3 minutes
Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM
TOZ
On The Tree

Some people at dealership don`t know how to do rear ends. This is my 3rd time and my car has only 10K miles. I making them make a payout to someone else. I already found a hi performance shop to do it.