Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9inch + 3 channel ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9inch + 3 channel ABS?

I've been doing a bit of the research and have a few quick questions.

1.My car has the diff mounted single speed sensor(I think this is the 3-channel set-up) and I noticed that 9 inch rears are only available for the 4 channel(traction control eqiupped) cars. Am I missing something? Is there an option for the 3 channel systems?

2. If there is'nt a 3 channel solution what are the options? Does anyone have a "fix" or work-around?

3. Is the Detroit locker noisey at all?

4. I have a 408 S/C motor planned for the near future(next spring-summer) and my car is an M6. I'm not likely to make many dragstrip passes but I do plan to do some roadracing(track days) and SOLO events. Is a locker a wise choice for this type of use?

My rear is currently making a grinding noise and I just want to go ahead and do an uprade now. I have cash in hand and just need a few last minute answers to get my bearings(no pun) straight. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Banned

The 3 channel 9 Inch is not mass produced a few have come up with some pinion and trans mounted exciter rings to run the 3 channel abs. Just ditch the ABS is your only option for right now. the detroit locker is not that loud, I sport one everyday and forget I have it most of the time. Locker should be fine it is the best solution for a high horsepower street car like yours. Sending you a PM with some info.

CMC
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Any parts or set-up suggestions for my intended purposes? Is an aluminum center section worthwhile? How about the nodular section, billet supports and 35 spline axles. I'm looking for an ultimate solution that I should never have to upgrade.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For road race purposes I would recommend the Truetrac diff, it has a higher torque bias ratio than the stock Torsen and any locker or clutch type diff. The alum center section should be fine for RR work and saves a few pounds. If you wanted to save even more weight and rotating mass you could get 33 spline axles and have them gun drilled. 35 splines are overkill for a RR application in my opinion. Moser has a neat little torque calculator on their site that you can use to check the max torque a particular type of axle will handle.

There is a guy on frrax.com that has a 9 in setup like you need - do a search. I think he even got the abs to work on this with 3 channels. If not, do a search on here, it can be done using an F150 reluctor ring on the differential.

Good luck !