Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bent Axle ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bent Axle ??

Ok, I have been dealing with some noise from the rear and opened the cover this weekend, gears look fine. While up in the air I turned on the car and put it in gear and listened, there is a creaking noise from the passenger side in the rear end andthe passenger side wheel wobbles slightly. I swapped the wheel to the other side and the passenger side still wobbles with the driver side wheel on it. I am leaning towards a bent axle(which would probably also mean the bearing is messed up as well right?), what else could it possibly be and what all could be messed up in addition to the axle(if it is bent).
Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

did you hit something? it sounds like the hub flange on that axle is bent. i cant say whether or not the bearing is still good, but i can imagine that the c-clip is beat up. its kinda hard to say without looking at it in person. did the fluid smell burnt at all to you? if so one of the bearings could be at fault. did you check backlash while you had the cover off?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, there was little more then there should be but nothing excessive. I just bought the car about a week and a half go and the noise was there when I bought it, I think it did get run into something though because there is a slight scuff on the corner of the side skirt right in front of the wheel. So if the hub flange is bent, the whole axle needs to be replaced correct? If I replace the bearing & races & axle... think that would probably solve it(if the axle/hub flange is the culprit)? I didn't notice it smelling burnt but gear oil smells like **** anyway so I probably wouldn't know the difference.