Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with Pinion Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Pinion Seal

I changed my gears and while changing the pinion seal we noticed something a little different. Its a triple lip seal but with another type seal that fits in that one. The number on it is 40006690. Does anyone have any experience with this or know where i can get it? I can get pics if wanted. Please help, cause now with the new seal I used from the install kit its leaking out the pinion seal
Old 09-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a seal in the housing and a seal on the yoke. You can walk into every different auto parts store and they will give you a seal different than what you have. You can go to most GM dealerships and they will need to order it.
Or you can go to ANY parts store and get the old style seal off ANYTHING that had a 7.5 rear, put it in the housing, take the old yoke seal off and leave it off and you're set. Thats what I did and my rear pinion area has been bone dry since.

The seals you have are in the pic. The one on the right is the yoke seal you can take off and throw away. Then replace the housing seal with the old style.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=63361

Quick Reply: Help with Pinion Seal