Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

lateral axle movement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lateral axle movement

Hello, my car has been making a clunking sound from the driver's side rear for a while while at low speed and when going over any sort of bumps. I greased up all of my suspension parts then pulled off my driver's rear tire and rotor. The axle moves in and out from the differential between 1/8th and 1/4 of an inch. It has no up/down or side to side movement and is not bent to the best of my knowledge. It's just a stock 10 bolt with stock 3.42s and is to be replaced with a ford 9" after i get back from my deployment. My question: do you think it would be safe to drive the car the way it is for a couple months without running into any serious problems? Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

anybody know how far in and out axles typically move, i didn't think they were supposed to at all.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... that is normal. Yes... it will be safe to drive.

Axle end play is a normal by-product of a c-clip type axle. The brake system on the F-body is a pin guided type and will tolerate quite a bit... and the amount of end play you stated is an observed normal condition for the type of caliper used in the stock brake system.

The acceptable end play for a "fixed" caliper is 0.005" or less. The acceptable end play for a "floating" or "pin guided" caliper well within 0.250".

Normal wear inside the differential itself can induce greater end play. The side and spider gears in a clutch type or the forcing cones in an Auburn will wear... and with this wear comes an increase in the clunking while driving over speed bumps or even pulling into or out of your driveway.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Launching!

much appreciate the response. that makes me feel alot better. have a great day.