Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

A few dents in diff cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few dents in diff cover

Short version: wtf could cause that in the pics. Skip to pics if you are lazy to read.

Well, after a sad day of hitting 100k miles on my 01 ws6, i decided to do regular maintenance and change fluids and whatnot. So after doing a few doughnuts it started to 1 wheel peel as i was doing them after a while. Thought no biggie since its been a while since the rear end fluid was changed (got the car at about 75k) and no idea the last time it was changed. Anyways, took it off cleaned it up and noticed these nice size "dents" in the cover. They definatly came from the inside. To my knowledge it was the stock rear end. I know the previous owner rode around for a while on drag radials. Since ive had the car ive done atleast 50 passes down the quarter and sadly one top of third gear - second gear shift where the rear locked up and wheel hopped a bit . Anyways there was the normal metal shavings on the magnet and no teeth were missing / cracked. One had a small marking on it but you could only tell by looking very closly and if it was a crack, it was harline, couldnt feel it what-so-ever as i ran my finger over it. From the pics (yea its a hard thing to do) do you thing that there was a previous unit in there that broke or did the one in there make those markings?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

It looks like your housing has a chunk out of it, just above the sway bar on the right in that pic.
Definately looks like something came apart at some point.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 AM
12 Second Club

i think he would have noticed that rather large piece of the housing missing. but if you didnt that would be my guess as to whats wrong or since you said you were one wheel peeling part of the diff may have broken off and was winged by the ring gear.

on a better note i just got back from the bars and am still **** drunk WOOHOO!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

Wow, i really didnt notice the chunk out of the housing missing. The lip on the cover was kinda bent and i just took a hammer to it to straiten it up. I had to use a prybar against the swaybar to get the socket in there. From the angle i was under the car (jack stands in the driveway ftl) the swaybar was blocking the chunk missinge i guess, that and more worried on finding out wtf put that big *** dent in the casing. So im guessing the previous owner gernaded the rear end and replaced it with another stock?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see any Chunk missing in the housing just above the sway bar.. unless you are talking aobut the factory trapezoid cutout that is there in all the 10 bolts?

I'd take the small screw out of the diff and pull the paddle out and check the gears in the diff. I bet if anyhitng there is a tooth missing from the gears in the diff.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I don't see any Chunk missing in the housing just above the sway bar.. unless you are talking aobut the factory trapezoid cutout that is there in all the 10 bolts?

I'd take the small screw out of the diff and pull the paddle out and check the gears in the diff. I bet if anyhitng there is a tooth missing from the gears in the diff.

your right its just that cutout. I forgot about that and it looks different in the pics cause its half hidden.

Quick Reply: A few dents in diff cover