Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Something is wrong, can't figure it out..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is wrong, can't figure it out..

I've always had some rear end noise - as I think we all do. I did some spirited driving and now I have a noise that is a clicking noise and it gets better or worse based on how fast the car is moving - click gets faster with higher speed, etc. Someone said to just replaced the rear end since you can find them for like 250. I was thinking that maybe it could be a bearing, etc, but I just don't know. I looked for play in the wheel but couldn't find any. I have auburn 4.10's and a summit girdle. The rear end still seems to function fine which is why I hate to swap it with another. Do rear wheel bearings go bad often on our cars? How do you know if it is a bearing...?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

This must be happening to alot of these cars around 100k. I replaced U-joints, axles, axle bearings, seals, brake pad, and fluid trying to figure the clicking out. None have solved the problem. Mine gets louder when I cut left hard and louder after I have been driving hard.

It makes the noise once for every wheel revolution, so can't be the drive shaft or pinion gear/bearings. I'm thinking the stock Torsen LSD is pretty worn and scrapping itself somehow or a worn ring gear. Anyway, I gave up on this one for the winter...can't hear it now with the windows up and it drives fine with a 2-wheel peal.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

wheel bearings usually make more of a roaring sound and they eat the axles when they go bad. I tried changing them anyway.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Someone else told me they think it's a U joint....Thinking of changing it to see...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could try U-joints but I'm betting its probably your differential.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jon5212
You could try U-joints but I'm betting its probably your differential.
If it turns out to not be the U Joint, I've located a 3.42 10bolt 4 channel with 8k original miles on it for 400 bucks. Hopefully the U Joint is the problem. It's a bad time of year to be having car issues. You know what I mean.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I understand that good luck to you.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

If it makes the sound once per wheel revolution, then it is NOT U-joints. They make 3-4 turns per wheel revolution. I'm betting on the carrier.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Greggy
If it makes the sound once per wheel revolution, then it is NOT U-joints. They make 3-4 turns per wheel revolution. I'm betting on the carrier.
You are right, I changed the U joint last night and it didn't fix the problem. I kept the car on stands(rear) when I tested it and I went ahead and started it. put it in 2nd and gave it a little gas to get the tires rolling, then I got out of the car with the tires rolling(car was making the noise) and got under it real quick, I put my hand on the rear end housing and could feel the clunk every time it made the noise. I am making a trip to chesapeake to get the rear end later today... ;-(

Thanks guys.