Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise. Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end noise. Opinions needed.

I have done a lot of research and still can't find a suitable answer to my rear end noise! I installed richmond 3.73 gears in the car almost a year ago now! They were quiet for about the first seven months then began to make noise. It is a rolling noise almost sounds like i have super swampers on my car. Everything was set up perfectly i know this for a fact cause we did the work personally. However, the crush sleeve was over crushed during the installation and backed off slightly and now i believe this is the cause of my noise. The rear end has not been touched except for once when i had a right axle seal leaking that i replaced. I have a new crush sleeve and seal and am inclined to replace the crush sleeve but i want opinions first! I don't want to tear it all down and replace the crush sleeve and the noise persist! Sorry for the novel!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ghostwhitez
I have done a lot of research and still can't find a suitable answer to my rear end noise! I installed richmond 3.73 gears in the car almost a year ago now! They were quiet for about the first seven months then began to make noise. It is a rolling noise almost sounds like i have super swampers on my car. Everything was set up perfectly i know this for a fact cause we did the work personally. However, the crush sleeve was over crushed during the installation and backed off slightly and now i believe this is the cause of my noise. The rear end has not been touched except for once when i had a right axle seal leaking that i replaced. I have a new crush sleeve and seal and am inclined to replace the crush sleeve but i want opinions first! I don't want to tear it all down and replace the crush sleeve and the noise persist! Sorry for the novel!

You have bad bearings. Increase and decrease with speed, sounds like pinion bearings. You cannot back off a pinion nut after crushing. especially when it was over crushed, that is what sets preload on you pinion bearings. We have a pinion kit if you need it. Check out our website.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

^^ agreed! bad bearings
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks Jeff! Can you give me a part number for that pinion bearing kit! I will be ordering it shortly! ( Last time i had a friend help with the install and he overtightened the pinion nut! Needless to say he probably won't be helping this time!) Glad to finally have a solution to the problem!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Jeff! Can you give me a part number for that pinion bearing kit! I will be ordering it shortly! ( Last time i had a friend help with the install and he overtightened the pinion nut! Needless to say he probably won't be helping this time!) Glad to finally have a solution to the problem!
hahaha, I can't say I have never heard that before.

Here is a link to the part you need.....
http://www.jawsgear.com/store/catalo...roducts_id=358

Jeff
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks, will be getting in touch with you shortly! I'm tired of feeling like im driving my old 84 jimmy on 38's. haha
Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm..im thinkin maybe i have this same problem. my rear end is LOUD! and its loud while speeding up, and decreasing speed. its loudest when speeding up.

can this affect performance? or does it just get on our nerves?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Mine didn't seem to effect its performance!Ran very well last time at the track.However, i believe that bearing failure could lead to serious damage in the rear end. Your noise sounds very similiar to mine and you are correct sir it is as annoying as hell!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Mine didn't seem to effect its performance!Ran very well last time at the track.However, i believe that bearing failure could lead to serious damage in the rear end. Your noise sounds very similiar to mine and you are correct sir it is as annoying as hell!
Yeah a failed bearing is a differential's worst nightmare, especially at the track.

Jeff