Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange s60

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange s60

has any one ran into issues with this rear end? just doing a little reasearch because i have been saving up for a new rear end and my choices are the moser 9 inch or the strange s60
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

s60 is overkill for most people. 9inch is all you really need, plus i believe it is not as heavy and wont sap as much power from your engine.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a threat about that awhile back and the OP posted the weights between a 12 bolt, 9inch and an S60. The S60 only weighed 10lbs more than the 9inch if i remember correctly and 25lbs more than a 12bolt. So weight isnt as big of an issue as most people make it out to be. Now since the 9inch rears come with the option of keeping your abs its essintially a toss up. However im not sure if the 9inch will support TCS if you so wanted to keep that. The S60 will support ABS and TCS. Just some food for thought.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
However im not sure if the 9inch will support TCS if you so wanted to keep that.

The 9 inch will support Traction Control, i.e. 4 channel.

The latest GM High Tech did a test on the 9 inch vs. S60... and the 9 inch was more efficient and lighter... now, I know that the 9 inch was the Moser 9 and not the regular housing... so we'll forget the weight part of it... but the efficiency between the Moser 9 and regular Moser housing should be identical as the center section is the controlling factor, and both the housings use the same center section.

Hope this helps. I'm ordering a 9" today for my 6 speed car.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

This has been debated a lot within the past few months. I just ordered my Dana 60 on Monday and here is why.

-Yes it weighs a little more but 10 lbs isn't anything. I'll just take a huge dump before the race and make up for it.
-The 9 inch does make it easier to swap out gears. But really, are you going to be swapping out gears ALL THE TIME! No.
-The Dana 60 supports 3 and 4 channel ABS and only requires shortening the driveshaft or ordering a new one.
-Dana 60 has a whooping .75" greater diameter on the ring gear making it one bad *****. It will handle 1200 HP and will keep on laughing while you beat the **** out of it.
-Ease of install. Dana 60 is pretty much just like swapping in another 10 bolt or 12 bolt.
-The gear design of the Dana 60 makes it very efficient.
-The Dana 60 can use a regular "street" gear and be stronger than a 9 inch without having to use different gears.
-Even though it does weigh more and may have a little more tendency to rob power, people have done direct comparisons WITH track times and have ran 1-2 tenths faster.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
This has been debated a lot within the past few months. I just ordered my Dana 60 on Monday and here is why.

-Yes it weighs a little more but 10 lbs isn't anything. I'll just take a huge dump before the race and make up for it.
-The 9 inch does make it easier to swap out gears. But really, are you going to be swapping out gears ALL THE TIME! No.
-The Dana 60 supports 3 and 4 channel ABS and only requires shortening the driveshaft or ordering a new one.
-Dana 60 has a whooping .75" greater diameter on the ring gear making it one bad *****. It will handle 1200 HP and will keep on laughing while you beat the **** out of it.
-Ease of install. Dana 60 is pretty much just like swapping in another 10 bolt or 12 bolt.
-The gear design of the Dana 60 makes it very efficient.
-The Dana 60 can use a regular "street" gear and be stronger than a 9 inch without having to use different gears.
-Even though it does weigh more and may have a little more tendency to rob power, people have done direct comparisons WITH track times and have ran 1-2 tenths faster.
-Could be more than 10lbs depending on what 9" you go with. M9 weighs 42 lbs less than a standard 9", so the S60 could be ~50lbs heavier depending on what options are ordered. 50 lbs is quite a bit.
-I agree
-9" can be ordered with 4 or 3 channel. As for the d/s why use the stock one which has broke on stock cars? I would rather upgrade for a few hundred to get a d/s that I can trust that won't eat the floor up.
-Could be overkill for your application. Yes it is tough, but how often do you hear about a 9" breaking?
-Install should be about the same for 12 bolt, 9", and S60.
-The gear is more efficient than a 9" but not by much. The weight vs efficiency could cancel each other out, especially vs the M9 type.
-Street gear wise I have nothing to agree or disagree on.
-Have not read this information.

I only say this because I was really stuck on S60 vs 9" with the advantage going to the S60 because I could keep my ABS. But now since the M9 and 9" offer ABS on three channel cars, I went with the 9". Plus the price for the S60 I found was higher by a few hundred.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _JB_
-Could be more than 10lbs depending on what 9" you go with. M9 weighs 42 lbs less than a standard 9", so the S60 could be ~50lbs heavier depending on what options are ordered. 50 lbs is quite a bit.
-I agree
-9" can be ordered with 4 or 3 channel. As for the d/s why use the stock one which has broke on stock cars? I would rather upgrade for a few hundred to get a d/s that I can trust that won't eat the floor up.
-Could be overkill for your application. Yes it is tough, but how often do you hear about a 9" breaking?
-Install should be about the same for 12 bolt, 9", and S60.
-The gear is more efficient than a 9" but not by much. The weight vs efficiency could cancel each other out, especially vs the M9 type.
-Street gear wise I have nothing to agree or disagree on.
-Have not read this information.

I only say this because I was really stuck on S60 vs 9" with the advantage going to the S60 because I could keep my ABS. But now since the M9 and 9" offer ABS on three channel cars, I went with the 9". Plus the price for the S60 I found was higher by a few hundred.
Really? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just put an s60 in my third gen and love it. install was quick and easy. i got a heck of deal through strange and also through my work, i got the rear with detroit locker and 93-97 disc brake brackets and the black cover for 2,000 shipped to my work. its one hell of a mean looking rear from behind. S60 all the way.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

torque arm may need to be modified depending on which one you have. i have a spohn and had to cut the top plate some where it bolts on the pumpkin. i don't know if any other TA are that way though. other wise the rear is great.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kenSS
torque arm may need to be modified depending on which one you have. i have a spohn and had to cut the top plate some where it bolts on the pumpkin. i don't know if any other TA are that way though. other wise the rear is great.
I've got a BMR adj unit and they said that BMR actually worked with strange to get it to fit right. Hopefully they are right!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Really? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?
My 9" setup was $100-300 cheaper. This includes new rings, driveshaft, Trutrack, and backing plates. I have more options but I can't find the price on it at the moment. I don't want to say how much it was as I don't know if the fabricator wants prices on the net or not, but you can contact Midwest Chassis Performance.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATLSS
The 9 inch will support Traction Control, i.e. 4 channel.
I stand corrected.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _JB_
My 9" setup was $100-300 cheaper. This includes new rings, driveshaft, Trutrack, and backing plates. I have more options but I can't find the price on it at the moment. I don't want to say how much it was as I don't know if the fabricator wants prices on the net or not, but you can contact Midwest Chassis Performance.
Well when I priced mine out I priced it out against 9" and it was cheaper.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did a lot of reading and went with the s60 for overkill and looks. i don't like how the oldschool 9" looks. the m9 looks good but the axles spline was less than 35 for a posi unit, i wanted to use a stock T/A because i didn't want noise, and price was more since i wanted to keep it local.

my s60 is noisy. whines around 40-55 mph in accel. right at 47-50mph was the worse and that is my cruise speed. it's gotten better now but started to whine on decel more from 55mph going down to 30mph. definitely not stock sounding. also some noise in higher speeds but is very minimal. just noting that it does make noise, but overall the whine is not a big deal if this is as loud as it gets. no way someone could fall and stay asleep with the gear noise though.

there is no way the s60 weighs only 10lbs more than a 9. and i think it would be much more than an fab 9 or m9. i didn't weigh it but that ****** is a monster.

if i had it to do again and if the fab 9 is available in a 33 spline or more with a posi, i'd go that route and install it myself. if i were to go 9, i'd buy from midwest chassis. their fab 9 looks nice and you can custom option everything. looks like they put a lot of care into their rearends and price is looks good too. but my s60 is bigger. lol.
strange took forever and the local shop had issues getting it in due to parts they got from strange and their workload. strange took about 7 weeks and my car was at the shop for another 5 days due to getting powdercoated,set up, installed. but now that it's in and working, all is ok and i'd go s60 if overall downtime was less than 3 weeks but i could not do another 8 weeks of downtime for the s60. be prepared for lots of downtime if you go with strange. i haven't launched the car hard or even done a burnout so i don't have a complete review on everything. so look into midwest chassis before you decide.
i don't like the reviews on moser as a company. too many unhappy people on ls1tech and there are other choices out there. their 2-3 day turn around time is great but the reading on here has me believing that quality control is not.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Teching In

i have an s60 also just installed on a 2000 ss convert. 6 spd lowered 1.25 , also had to cut top brace to rear end on top side , it is noisy but if u have an aftermarket exhaust not a worry, blew up mine at the track, just found out took the trans out also, but rear end is huge and heavy.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000 droptop
i have an s60 also just installed on a 2000 ss convert. 6 spd lowered 1.25 , also had to cut top brace to rear end on top side , it is noisy but if u have an aftermarket exhaust not a worry, blew up mine at the track, just found out took the trans out also, but rear end is huge and heavy.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i've sold plenty of the S60 rears.... it seems all the reraends have issues at some poinmt. it is kinda a hit or miss thing. i have my fabricated 9 inch setup priced competitively to work with most everybody's budget. outfitted with a aluminum center section it weighs the same as a stock 10 bolt. the base package iron center section is only 16 pounds heavier.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000 droptop
i have about a 2-3" drop in the back and the top brace had to be partially cut also. i'm pretty sure i have 3.5" flowmaster catback and the s60 noise is above that in the whine zones. i was already having trouble talking on cell phone because of the exhaust but this whining is audibly louder than that. i'm hoping to lower the whining after i lube up the panhard and other parts. i was really hoping to have a quiet s60 but it wasn't meant to be. **** happens and i just tell myself it could be worse. as long as it doesn't get worse, i won't be too upset on the choice. my s60 constantly tells me that i'm driving a non stock camaro.

how'd you blow the s60? who set up the gears? what gears? miles? type of usage?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssvert99
i've sold plenty of the S60 rears.... it seems all the reraends have issues at some poinmt. it is kinda a hit or miss thing.
can you speak more of what problems to look out for? i'm about to hit 2000 miles but have yet to even go wot until at least a 25mph roll on street tires. i'm just daily driving it so far with a few wot here and there on the freeway. i read there were people on here with problems early on when the s60 was introduced abiout 2 years ago but it seemed the problems were getting addressed. i decided to stay local just in case issues came up. i want to be cutting at least 1.7's and not have to worry about the rear making noise or have problems.
what kind of oil and additive would you suggest?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

What brace are you guys talking about cutting? I just ordered a S60 last week

Quick Reply: strange s60