Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anybody rebuild and upgrade their Eaton from 30 to 33 spline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody rebuild and upgrade their Eaton from 30 to 33 spline?

I'm in the process of doing this with my Moser 12 bolt now. I bought an internal kit from Randy's with the 33 spline side gears, a new clutch kit from Tom's and new axels from Moser. Only real catch is the inside diameter of hub on the carrier (where the bearings are pressed on) is too small for the larger axels to pass. Need to take about .100" off the inside. I am/was concerned about removing this material. However, if the 33 spline unit and the 30 spline unit use the same bearing then it's got to be safe as that would just reproduce what Eaton does on the 33 spline unit to begin with.

I've had conflicting info, the guy at Randy's was surprised it was an issue at all and said they use the same bearing. Someone at Moser said I have to buy a new carrier and was pretty sure they use different bearings (They also told me I have to machine it to accept the new side gears so I think they want to sell a new carrier). I then called Eaton and at least the guy I talked to said he could not find any indication of a different bearing. That just didn't sound completely definite to me though, as he didn't answer the question directly.

Can someone clear this up please? I dropped the carrier off at a competant machine shop that said it would be fine. It will be a few days before he can get to it.