Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10bolt Torsen about to Grenade! Is there write up on changing gears carrier seal etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10bolt Torsen about to Grenade! Is there write up on changing gears carrier seal etc?

I am going to need to throw some parts at this POS 10 bolt to make it last until I can afford a 9" housing and axles (already have a Nodular 3rd stashed and waiting).

I'm curious if there is a write up somewhere that would walk me through the steps of atleast changing the carrier, and possibly changing the gears and pinion seal. I have a low mileage Auburn and even some OE 4.11's to throw at this thing. Problem is, I don't want to sink the money of labor cost and new bearings into this rear end. Now, I'm a pretty capable guy and have worked around machine shops before. I know how to read micrometers, calipers, and dial indicators. Have some engine assembly experience, so I know I'm capable of the task. I just have not had the experience yet, of changing a carrier and or gears.

This Torsen is about to let go, and I have these parts to fix it but just really really don't want to invest the additional money of paying someboy labor for the install. I would be reusing the bearings (w/races) that are already on the Auburn carrier I have, to cut cost. As well as reusing the bearing thats already on the 4.11 pinion gear, again to cut cost. I'd toss in a solid pinion spacer, and new seal. Really, just trying to do the most low buck, eat the labor repair to this thing to keep it alive a little longer. I realize changing just the carrier would be the most simple fix, and that may be all I do. I am considering though, also changing the gears since I'd be already a 1/3 of the way into it with the carrier change. I'd be able to use the magnetic base dial indicator I'd have to buy for other work in the future. So buing that doesn't bother me to much. Just not up on how cheaply I could get the tool to set the pinion gear depth, and thats the biggie if I understand the process correctly. If I have to pay somebody, its another 400/450 bucks sunk into this thing just for labor and the fact that I'd imagine nobody is going to want to touch it without throwing a bearing kit at it. Thats half the cost of the 9" housing, I'm having trouble accepting that option. If I can just come by a good write up, I'll again eat the labor and toss these parts I have in, plus a solid pinion spacer and start praying again lol. Just want this thing to limp along for approx till the end of the year. Plus, if I could keep it alive it might be easier to sell it with the Auburn and 4.11's.

Anybody have a link to a gear change write up on the little 10 bolt???? Really hoping to save some money here to put towards the 9" this thing needs.

Either way, may just have to eat it and pay somebody to do the work. Let me know. Any help, links, input really appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm

Its in the stickys
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the link, did'nt notice it somehow.

I'll take a look at it right now.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

good info saving this