Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Odd Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Rear End Noise

so i searched the forums and couldn't find anyone with a problem like mine, so i figured a new thread was in order.

last week, i put a set of motive 4:10 gears in the stock 10 bolt, everything went in perfectly. pinion depth was right, backlash at .006 and they were as quiet as could be during the break in period.

i started to get into it a little bit yesterday, still no hard launches or shifts and barely any WOT.

Now, the odd thing is i get a loud noise when im turning right, but only if its coasting. if im on the gas through the turn they're quiet. no noise in reverse in either direction. a tiny bit of noise when just coasting to a stop while in gear, but nothing to bad.

any ideas what could be causing this ? im going to open the rear end up soon to double check the wear patterns, and i'll see if i can get some pictures up.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

no one has an ideas ?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rear end has a Posi need you happen to put in the additive for the clutch plates? I had a bit of a knocking noise after changing the fluid and come to find out GM has a additvie for the Posi clutches
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

it is posi, and i didnt have any of the additive. i think most of the noise is from my exhaust rubbing against the drive shaft right where it goes into the diff.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Teching In

ok, so i jacked the car up and put in gear to let it just spin and theres a pretty nasty noise coming from the passenger side axle. Im thinking maybe the wheel bearing is bad. i haven't had a chance to pull the axle out to check it out because i have to work, but I've got the next 4 days off so ill be doing that.

maybe tomorrow after work I'll throw a video on here of the noise n such.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Teching In

so i got around to pulling the cover off, and getting the carrier out to get a better look at the wear pattern and heres what i found. (the picture is from my phone. but you get the idea)

what do you think ?

oh, and i could clearly see the bearings on the right side when i took the clamp pieces off, and there was some side to side play with the carrier.

any ideas ?