Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

u1645 conversion u-joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question u1645 conversion u-joint

Getting ready to install my Strange 12-bolt tomorrow. They sent along with the CM drive shaft and rear end a little box containing a u1645 conversion u-joint and hardware. I'm not really sure where this goes or why I need it. The new drive shaft seems ready to go. I'm embarrassed to ask, but where does this u1645 conversion u-joint go? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I checked the Strange catalog online and it says that u1645 is a "conversion u-joint P55-55-675 to 1350 series." I'm lost.

Last edited by Predator; 08-05-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

not sure about the strange, (which is the direction i should have probably gone, but thats another story)
But for my Moser 12 bolt, i had to install a new u joint on the *** end of my drive shaft to fit the bigger yoke on the Moser 12 bolt,,the stock one would have been to small (the end caps that you put the U or C clamps around and bolt to your rear end yoke)

here is what i used,,,,,,post number 7 i think...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/878742-u-joint-install.html

to remove your stocker, you will need to "melt" the nylon that is in the endcaps out, remove by hammering down on the end caps that were attached to your rear end yoke,,,this will lower the u joint out of that end cap,,,flip it over and do the same thing to the other side. Once the u joint is free, remove, and install your new one with either a press, or a bench vise. Be sure to grease it up good.

DO NOT HAMMER ON YOUR NEW END CAPS TO PUT THEM ON!!! You will spill your needle bearings all over the freakin place. (ask me how i know that one)

once again, not sure if this applies to your situation or not.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Bad Blue, I appreciate your response, and for taking the time, thanks, but I don't think this applies to my situation. I have a new Strange CM driveshaft that I ordered with the rearend, from Billingsley, and I can't imagine they would sell me a new Strange DS with a wrong-sized u-joint installed on it. The u-joint on the new DS seems to fit the new rearend's yoke okay. I just don't know why they sent me this u1645 conversion u-joint. Would they include a part I didn't need? That's what's throwing me. I spoke to the owner of Billingsley when I ordered and he seemed to know exactly what I needed for this rearend conversion, but what is this u1645 kit for? Thanks again for trying to help.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, I think I figured this out. Since I bought a new driveshaft, it already has the correct u-joints installed, but a lot of people buy a new rearend and just reuse their stock DS. So Strange supplies this u1645 u-joint kit, with their rearends, to use with a stock DS. So essentially this a part that I won't need since I already have the correct u-joint on the new Strange 3" CM DS.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Just to add, all I'll need out of that u1645 u-joint conversion kit is the two c-clamps and hardware to bolt the u-joint onto the rearend, not the u-joint itself.

Another case cracked.

Quick Reply: u1645 conversion u-joint