Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Very very weird clunking sound!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Very very weird clunking sound!

On the way home tonight i heard a different sound ! After driving a just tryn to tune it in it sounds like a light clunk but it isnt steady with the rpms and goes aways if you clutch the car in . When i pulled into town I let the car slow way down in 6th gear and then hit the throttle lightly .... then bad clunk ? Its coming from the rear of the car or so it sounds and it just out of the blue . I also took it up to 120 or so on the way home and had very very bad vibration / Like i said it i let of throttle and coast no clunk if i hit the throttle it clunks and slowing down hitting throttle it is way loader! Any input would be great guys i need to get this fixed before monday
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
On the way home tonight i heard a different sound ! After driving a just tryn to tune it in it sounds like a light clunk but it isnt steady with the rpms and goes aways if you clutch the car in . When i pulled into town I let the car slow way down in 6th gear and then hit the throttle lightly .... then bad clunk ? Its coming from the rear of the car or so it sounds and it just out of the blue . I also took it up to 120 or so on the way home and had very very bad vibration / Like i said it i let of throttle and coast no clunk if i hit the throttle it clunks and slowing down hitting throttle it is way loader! Any input would be great guys i need to get this fixed before monday
Possibly loose pinion preload and the pinion gear may be hitting the carrier case. Pull the rear diff cover and do a visual inspection.

Jeff