Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

2010 Camaro SS M6 vs 2011 Mustang 5.0 M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 Camaro SS M6 vs 2011 Mustang 5.0 M6

This should stir the pot again

"GT has the 3.73/Brembo package, everything stock. SS has straight pipes welded in place of the mufflers, that is the only mod. GT had TC on, SS had TC off. The audio sounds weird at first because I had wind noise reduction on. Shot with Canon EOS 60D and Canon 10-22mm lense.

Camaro had 145lb driver and 125lb passenger. The weight of both cars pretty much equal out because of this factor. Mods will be going on both cars in the future, can't wait for rematches!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VX2...layer_embedded

Read the description for details.

Edit: here's a pic from before the race.

Last edited by Camaro Z; 11-25-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Not trying to make excuses; but in another thread it was determined that having the TC on slowed down the car.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
Not trying to make excuses; but in another thread it was determined that having the TC on slowed down the car.
I agree with that but the TC being on had nothing to do with the SS pulling on the top end, that's what I was surprised by.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

What's up with the "1-2-3 go!!" lol
Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

TC on a 5.0 does a whole lot less than you think.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Good run and nice pic OP!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
I agree with that but the TC being on had nothing to do with the SS pulling on the top end, that's what I was surprised by.
Nothing to be surprised by.

A couple different mags have tested the cars to 0-120 and 0-130

camaro had a full second edge to 120. and a 1.9 second edge to 130.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good vid
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Z

i own GM prducts. i prefer caddys to all of these cars. BUT the traction control in my caddy's actually works like it should. when its wet or dry and i slam the throttle, the car just goes. the TC light comes on and it acclerates like it should. just like dry WOT.

my 2011GT is NOTHING like that. IMO ford TC is lame. it doesnt work at all. i dont know why they dont call it "apply the brakes and cut the throttle for 2 seconds" instead of TC. ive had my TC and stability control practically stop the car. it has done it one the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift.

it doesnt do it all the time. some times i can spin it pretty hard just not on a shift. if the *** end comes out at all it hits. SO..........

yes the 2-3 shift can cause TC/stability to hit the brakes. so the camaro did pull it. try hitting your brakes HARD during a race.

call it a lame excuse if you like, i dont care. mine has TC turned off. run me. mine wont engage. the mustang driver was an idiot for leaving it on. it ony hurts. it doesnt help anything.

Last edited by assasinator; 11-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator
i own GM prducts. i prefer caddys to all of these cars. BUT the traction control in my caddy's actually works like it should. when its wet or dry and i slam the throttle, the car just goes. the TC light comes on and it acclerates like it should. just like dry WOT.

my 2011GT is NOTHING like that. IMO ford TC is lame. it doesnt work at all. i dont know why they dont call it "apply the brakes and cut the throttle for 2 seconds" instead of TC. ive had my TC and stability control practically stop the car. it has done it one the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift.

it doesnt do it all the time. some times i can spin it pretty hard just not on a shift. if the *** end comes out at all it hits. SO..........

yes the 2-3 shift can cause TC/stability to hit the brakes. so the camaro did pull it. try hitting your brakes HARD during a race.

call it a lame excuse if you like, i dont care. mine has TC turned off. run me. mine wont engage. the mustang driver was an idiot for leaving it on. it ony hurts. it doesnt help anything.

did you even read the thread at svtp?

He said that was the closest race and that the TC was actually helping him.They tried the race with and without TC. He said he did not notice any power loss with it on but that it helped him get off the line better.
That vid was the best run for the 5.0...and it still lost.

They also admit that from a roll the race would be worse. And others agree...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vid
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1

He said that was the closest race and that the TC was actually helping him.They tried the race with and without TC. He said he did not notice any power loss with it on but that it helped him get off the line better.

Impossible! The 5.0 is 3 seconds faster than the SS. The muffler delete must have given the SS 40 rwhp.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is no power loss from TC. but if it does intervene, the run is lost. my dyno was with TC "ON".
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator
there is no power loss from TC. but if it does intervene, the run is lost. my dyno was with TC "ON".
Dude....seriously.

THEY RACED WITH TC OFF AS WELL...THE CAMARO STILL CAUGHT UP AND PASSED HIM IN THE SAME FASHION.

This vid was the CLOSEST race.

I am sure if they had both equal passenger weight the stang would have stayed ahead a bit longer. The muffler delete seriously does next to nothing for the camaro.

Still just a street race with a lot of variables....I have seen a lot of vids with the 5.0 beating the camaro as well.

though this is a very good example...with both sides being friends and knowing each other etc...this is a lot more believable than most videos you find on the web where you know next to nothing about the situation and only have a one sided point of view on the race etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude....seriously.

THEY RACED WITH TC OFF AS WELL...THE CAMARO STILL CAUGHT UP AND PASSED HIM IN THE SAME FASHION.

This vid was the CLOSEST race.

I am sure if they had both equal passenger weight the stang would have stayed ahead a bit longer. The muffler delete seriously does next to nothing for the camaro.

Still just a street race with a lot of variables....I have seen a lot of vids with the 5.0 beating the camaro as well.

though this is a very good example...with both sides being friends and knowing each other etc...this is a lot more believable than most videos you find on the web where you know next to nothing about the situation and only have a one sided point of view on the race etc.

im good man. i dont care who won or lost. good for the SS. muffler do very little for a GT without removing the resonators.

its all good man. it sounded like they were saying TC got involved during the run. it didnt, well thats ok. Ford could learn a TC lesson from GM though.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good vid man
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice vid. I am not suprised. Top end stock to stock the LS3 will start to pull. However on the flipside of the coin just with a tune the Mustang is a way different animal more than the Camaro with a tune. Have both cars with a tune or even an off the shelf programmer and I bet its neck and neck race with even weight(driver and passenger).
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Neck and neck yes. Not mustang shitting all over every car ever like has been claimed. LOL.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well when i had my ls2 gto I felt the tc played a huge roll in how it pulled from a dig or roll. Not sure if my stock 245 tires were that crappy that they were breaking loose at any speed in the first 4 years that would cause the tc to come on or what but it sucked...tc off was a different animal tho. This was a stock ls2 w/straight pipes and a 6spd btw

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro SS M6 vs 2011 Mustang 5.0 M6