Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Dealers going to kill Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers going to kill Camaro

I will never understand what goes on in the brain of the pricing manager at a dealer. I have been to a few local dealers in the past few days just looking at the new camaro to see what it looks like in person in different colors. These were all v6 cars just to let you know. Of the three dealers that I went to the lowest mark up was $5,000 ON A V6!!!! Are they that dumb? GM need the v6 to sell like mad. I can understand (kinda) paying a markup on an SS but a v6? I am not paying 34 grand for a v6 camaro. I will get an A4, a C Class, a CTS, or a 3-series before I would buy that. Then this ones salesmes was trying to tell me how much faster the V6 is then my 2000 SS claiming he has a 99 camaro with $10 in the motor and said that this particular v6 destoryed. Like do they think we are that dumb?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

when i went to the release party at a local dealership a guy pulled up in a 4th gen turbo ss. while we were checking out the car a sales guy came over and said, and i quote, "this car must be fast. if u look under the car he's got all types of tubing and stuff."
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers don't know **** about the cars they sell.

A customer got his 1SS Inferno Orange here in Midland, and I was looking it over. The guy who sold the car came out and I asked if it had the RS package, he said no it's no the V6 model...then I asked which engine it had, the LS3 or the L99(or whatever the DOD one is) and he said yeah this car has the new LT engine in it.

I walked over to the mechanic that drove it up and he was laughing and shaking his head...I just looked at him and smiled.

You just sold a brand new Camaro, a car that has a 42 year pedigree behind it, and you don't know anything about it other than you made a commission off it....Reason One for trouble at GM...Not paying attention to the styles/products of the times....Reason Two for trouble at GM...Union wages/benefits that are out of control and upping margin on every vehicle...Reason Three for trouble at GM...Salesmen who sell new cars without knowing anything about them...

/rant...sorry
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

local dealer to me is not markiing the cars up at all. sticker price only. so if you keep getting robbed pm me for a number.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

shoot it was 32,000 for the v6 RS here in Houston with maybe 3 options on the car =\
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Local dealership here in Lexington has a 2LT sitting on the showroom floor. I go in to look at it, driving my 98 of course, and they ask me if I needed help. I told them I just wanted to check out the new baby, and I got snuffed the rest of the day. Damn, had they tried I'm sitting well enough I might have walked out with it, but they must not be interested in selling it. I would have liked to talk to someone about it but everyone hopped on the phone. Besides about 3 years ago (same dealership) I asked someone what they thought about the new 427 in the upcoming Vette, and they had never heard about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Dealers in chicago are only marking them up 1000 dollers thats it!

Great thing we got going on around here
Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

**** this spell check keeps making me spell chitown wrong
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
local dealer to me is not markiing the cars up at all. sticker price only. so if you keep getting robbed pm me for a number.
Ive seen first hand paper work on what the cars are priced at, GM doesnt not want dealers ******* with the price at all!

Trust me if you see somthing for a crazy price then call GM
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Our dealership sold their first 6 cyl for 38 and first ss for 54k, according to my buddy who is a salesmen. The 6 was the first new one they got in and I went to look at it at their sale and they had 39k in the window..26k sticker
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

MSRP: Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

Chevy sells cars to dealers, who in turn sell them to the consumer at a profit. They're suggested a price, but can mark it up whatever they want. They own the vehicles they sell. If they want to put $647,000 on the window, GM can't tell them to drop the price. It's silly to jack the prices into the stratosphere, but it's their prerogative. Personally, I say keep a few on hand and get them out the door as cheaply as possible, yet maintain a nice profit margin.

My local dealer was pretty cool; we poked fun of the '09 Mustang GT next door that only made 10 more horses than the 3.6 Camaro.

From what he said, dealers aren't looking to order these cars in bulk, but rather rely on customer orders and keep a few on the lot to drum up interest. I'm not sure about the rest of them, but that's their game plan.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

The local dealer here had one V6 and one V8. No prices were on either of them. The V8 was SOLD.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Eh, do what I do. Find a dealer who is selling at sticker. Tell everyone you can how that dealer tried to screw you, and encourage everyone you know to spread the word. Do everything you can to spread the word about how they treat customers.

They rightly stand behind supply and demand when suggesting that someone will buy it at that price. You rightly stand behind the freedom to spread the word about your buying (or not buying) experience.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
Eh, do what I do. Find a dealer who is selling at sticker. Tell everyone you can how that dealer tried to screw you, and encourage everyone you know to spread the word. Do everything you can to spread the word about how they treat customers.

They rightly stand behind supply and demand when suggesting that someone will buy it at that price. You rightly stand behind the freedom to spread the word about your buying (or not buying) experience.
Pretty easy really, just wait, they will come down.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

our local Chevy dealer sold the two at the unveiling party they had, both went for sticker (barely), not sure on the SS, it was 30 somthing, but the RS (V6) went for 28200.00. I think sticker on the RS is 28 flat.

They had those two, they have more coming, but they are already sold,,,said it would be mid June before they even have any to sit on the lot
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

right now they appear to be selling somewhat quickly after they arrive at dealers so expect this **** to continue.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I went to the Chevy dealership in my city and saw this yellow camaro SS. It's an auto. Man, it was so nice. It's still there but already sold at $32K sticker. That's not bad at all considering what some other dealers are trying to do with the V6s. Trying to gouge the hell out of unsuspecting consumers. The salesperson told me they are getting 4 more some time next week. All of them are SS!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

I went to to Rydell in van nuys, CA. What a joke! the lot was **** poor rinky dink throwback from the 70's and ALL the salespeople could not speak english! they tried, but i had one guy from mexico, one from iran, and another from france trying to translate!

Oh, btw, there were NO camaros there, they had one to show so you could order and wait 6 months to get. however, "jim" took it... but nobody knew where. and 1 salesguy didnt even know what a camaro was!!! he said, yeah we got corvette...

these idiot dealers are going to kill this car and the company!
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad said he stopped by a local shop that had a yellow V6 it was sold within an hour of getting there
Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The reason dealers do this, is because of dumbasses that will pay stupid mark ups to be the first kid on the block with one. Now... if we can rid the world of those dumbassess, there would be no markups.

Quick Reply: Dealers going to kill Camaro