Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

6th Gen Camaro shown a day early on CNBC

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems odd to me, they'd use smaller brakes, even if it saves 15 lb, which is probably on the high end unless they make the rears solid as well as smaller up front and rear or go aluminum(which would be exceptionally expensive). That's just the single area I'd never skimp on, considering the performance implications.

Just to get the 1SS to under 3,700 lb... I'd consider plastic seats 1st! Come to think of it, simple racing seats w/ only forward and backward motion... light and for a plain Jane model, perfectly suited. Even recliners can be under 30 lb apiece. I just don't know if there's legal reasons to avoid that approach. I'd be fine with the seats like, say.. a 2003 Cobra. I've heard those are light, but never weighed one.

Advantages on the drag strip... indeed. I'd like that aspect of smaller brakes, but I'd hope Chevy markets the models appropriately in that regard. It would be awesome to have a drag race "best" and a road course "best" and for GM to state right up front, why. I think that could actually help drive sales and I'd bet that while most would only drag race, they'd opt for the 2SS anyway. The hardcore could get smaller brakes and lighter seats... now THAT would be a neat trick and personally, I wouldn't care who complained because ultimately, they'd be offering a straight up choice to their customer.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am confused why everybody is calling it a 6th generation since it totally looks still like a 5th generation.....
Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I am confused why everybody is calling it a 6th generation since it totally looks still like a 5th generation.....
Do you accept that the 4th generation is seperate from the 3rd generation? The styling was similar in general layout, a lot more rounded, but still two door hatch configuration. The chassis was unchaged from the rear seat back. They hung and updated body/interior, front suspension, transmission, and updated SBC on a largely unchanged chassis.

This 6th gen basically carries no parts over, and just shares a styling theme.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Do you accept that the 4th generation is seperate from the 3rd generation? The styling was similar in general layout, a lot more rounded, but still two door hatch configuration. The chassis was unchaged from the rear seat back. They hung and updated body/interior, front suspension, transmission, and updated SBC on a largely unchanged chassis.

This 6th gen basically carries no parts over, and just shares a styling theme.
^^^ Someone who knows what they're talking about.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

82-92.....93-02

It's always a refresh style after 5 years and more drastic after 10. Nothing new here. They have actually done more than normal with the car. It's on its second exterior refresh and an all new powertrain and chassis in 6 years.

Giving us the car we all wanted in 2010. No matter what they do people will bitch.

Haters lol

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 05-27-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Heh... the 5th gen looks like a 1st gen. Are you sure it isn't?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any side by side pics of a 2015 Camaro and the 2016 version to see the difference in overall length, width,etc?
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...0&d=1431810103
6th gen be 5th gen size comparison
I'll reserve judgement until I see it In person ,I would consider a current 1le but they say this cars is many seconds faster around the track than even the 1le
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks 25mm = 1"
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be interesting to see how the 2.0L turbo does.

6th Gen Camaro shown a day early on CNBC-capture.jpg
Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
They're using difference brakes from 1 to 2 SS? WOW! That's a bit much, if only for weight reduction. I mean, everyone wants the best handling and that includes awesome brakes. Where's the advantage of a 15 lb lighter car if it runs outta brakes after a lap or 2? I don't see a good trade off there if it was about weight loss. On the other hand, it may be light enough that the lighter brakes are fine. I doubt it, but we'll see.

Problem is, losing weight isn't often easy, even of you're starting @ 3,900 lb.

I'd go auto w/o question. There's just no good reason not to for a car regularly driven, considering how great they are these days. Paddle shifters make it good to go.
You may be the first person i have ever heard in my entire life endorsing buying an automatic.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spawne32
You may be the first person i have ever heard in my entire life endorsing buying an automatic.
I'd love to have a new 8spd auto. Old 4spd transmissions? Nah.

I'd be more than happy with the new 4 cylinder turbo drop top. 8 speed auto, intake, exhaust, and a good dyno tune with the boost bumped up a bit. Would be a superb little car to dink around in.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Have you reached 25yrs old yet? For that matter... have you been outside the house? Have you looked around the internet, even?

Seriously... auto transmissions are in (because they're preferred) nearly every high end car available all across the world and more importantly, automatics are the only available versions for some(Lamborghini Huracan, for example). Autos include DCT these days... anything with paddle shifters, really.

Bottom line: Autos today are better than any manual.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you reached 25yrs old yet? For that matter... have you been outside the house? Have you looked around the internet, even?

Seriously... auto transmissions are in (because they're preferred) nearly every high end car available all across the world and more importantly, automatics are the only available versions for some(Lamborghini Huracan, for example). Autos include DCT these days... anything with paddle shifters, really.

I agree except the non dct autos like in the camaro and corvette are still at a disadvantage on a road course. The downshifting is still too slow and they are prone to overheating. Even gm recommends the manual in the corvette for road course work. Also Randy Pobst ran faster with the manual and shared his thoughts. Still not enough precise control over the gear selection compared to a manual.

At the strip it's game over though. That said I'm still undecided. Gonna need to drive both. I'm 30 so maybe I'm still young enough to be tempted by the manual...
Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I agree except the non dct autos like in the camaro and corvette are still at a disadvantage on a road course. The downshifting is still too slow and they are prone to overheating. Even gm recommends the manual in the corvette for road course work. Also Randy Pobst ran faster with the manual and shared his thoughts. Still not enough precise control over the gear selection compared to a manual.

At the strip it's game over though. That said I'm still undecided. Gonna need to drive both. I'm 30 so maybe I'm still young enough to be tempted by the manual...
Worth noting... most of us can't drive well enough to warrant a manual over auto, but indeed... for a pro driver on a road course, I have little doubt the manual will inspire more confidence and likely lead to better ET's and will run cooler(which certainly helps over time).

I think GM will make better software in time, or the aftermarket will, and shifting will be improved even more. I'm kinda surprised they haven't already. For the hard core, I know they generally prefer a manual. The thing is, that's about 1% of the crowd and the best autos and DCT's are really good enough to nullify a manual.

Of course, most of us never endure a road course. We hit the drag strip and, like you said, game over.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol im 31 and yes, i have been out of the house, and my experience on the internet is exactly the reason why im surprised to hear this. lol There is no shortage of hate on automatic car's on the internet and from various would be "car guys". I usually can only carry conversation with the older car crowd to actually have a civilized discussion about transmissions. lol The under 30 crowd is usually "eww wtf automatic?" or "no 3rd pedal no care bro". They seem to attribute the automatic trans to having a vagina.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

lol im 31 and yes, i have been out of the house, and my experience on the internet is exactly the reason why im surprised to hear this. lol There is no shortage of hate on automatic car's on the internet and from various would be "car guys". I usually can only carry conversation with the older car crowd to actually have a civilized discussion about transmissions. lol The under 30 crowd is usually "eww wtf automatic?" or "no 3rd pedal no care bro". They seem to attribute the automatic trans to having a vagina.
Yeah... all joking aside, automatics are SO good these days, it only makes sense to avoid one if you're a seriously talented driver and even then, ya gotta want the manual... in performance terms. That said, some people do still prefer a manual and it does offer the idea, not the fact, but the idea that you're in better control. Looking back, just 10yrs ago a manual meant more control, but no more. That is, with the really good autos. Anyone can buy an old 4spd auto and coast around. When we're talking about performance stuff anymore, it's 6spd + and paddle shifters.

For that under 30 "manual only" crowd... they only think they know stuff anyway. Most of them, like 99.999% can't drive worth a crap in any vehicle and they just don't know it. If they knew who he was, half would liken themselves to Ronnie Sox. They wouldn't know what to do with cars like he raced, but you can bet they'd not run the ET's he ran. Slip a new, strong auto in there and tune correctly, they'd get there in amazement.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen Camaro shown a day early on CNBC