General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

HELP! Race in 12 hrs and car is running wierd

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Race in 12 hrs and car is running wierd

I drive my car every day and never have issues with it, suddenly when its time to count on it its doing some funky stuff.

Two nights ago I installed some 33lb injectors to replace my 28s because last year at the track, running 12.50s it showed them maxing out. I updated the tune for them and also changed my shift points because they were previously stock and now I want to take advantage of the MS3 cam. So anyway, next day on the way to work I feel it miss a little bit, figure its the injectors because they are old and sat for a while, after a little bit it clears up and everything seems fine.

I drive it home from work yesterday and still everything seems normal. I installed some 28" tall drag radials on it and hoked up the wideband. I go to start the car and its dead. Jumped the car with my battery charger and it fired right up then drove 4 min to get gas and fired up fine when I left there. I then take it out for some testing and it seems really weak. On a slight normal acceleration the LOW TRAC mil comes on (this is with the ASR turned off) then the LOW TRACK goes off, later the ABS INOP light comes on and the BRAKE mil comes on. I stop the car, shut it off, turn it back on and all those lights are off. Then I push the ASR switch and those lights all come back on. By the time I get it home the voltage is down to about 8 and it dies as soon as I get home. I do some electrical tests and the battery has 12v one minute and 0 the next, then 12 again??? So I swap the battery with a new one (old one did test bad at the parts store) and call it a night.

The next day on the way to work the voltage is doing wierd stuff still. It drops to 8 when I accelerate and goes back to 13 when I apply the brakes. After work I swap the alternator out (old one tested bad and I had them test the new one to be sure it was good). The wierd voltage issue is now gone but suddenly the car is idling a few hundred rpms higher than normal and its still throwing the ABS, BRAKE, and LOW TRACK mils. I'm at a loss here. I updated the tune for the tire diameter, injectors, and made a few shift point tweaks, other than that I haven't done anything. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it simply could be bad luck with your alternator acting funny? How many miles are on the car and is it the original alternator?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Your ABS, LOW TRAC, and BRAKE lights are on because abs is disabling itself due to different tire sizes front and rear. It thinks the front is going x speed while the rear is going y speed, due to the different amount of revolutions the wheels turn to achieve the same distance. What you did by correcting tire size was fix the speedometer, because that is dependent on rear tire size.

Other than that, the other voltage issues sounds like they were caused by a faulty alternator. Unrelated coincidence.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the info, that makes sense. The new alternator fixed the weird voltage issues and after a while it started idling like normal again. I think I'm in good shape to race.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you swaped out the alternator it probably erased the pcm and it had to learn how to idle again.