General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I dont know what to buy...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont know what to buy...please help!

So im in the market for a new car, and i love big american V8's. I want a powerful car with loads of torque that i can have fun with at the drag strip and the track. I've narrowed my choices down to either an 05-06 GTO (with the LS2), an 01-02 T/A WS6, or a first gen CTS-V (Either an LS6 or an LS2).

I've done extensive research on all three and i cant decide. It sounds as if the CTS-V has the best handling of the 3, but its also the most expensive. I've always loved the looks of the GTO's but i hear that their suspension is horrible and you cant fit very wide tires on the rear. Obviously the T/A is the least powerful but is also the cheapest, thus leaving more money for mods, but i cant find ANY info about the WS6's handling.

So disregard the daily driver/more practical issue, just overall what is the best car? in terms of being a drivers car, handling, and performance? im curious about the WS6's handling, the GTO's suspension/traction issues, and if i was to get a CTS-V which engine to get? Just any input would help really, if you've driven/owned any of these cars
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO WS6's handle pretty good. Any car can have a bad suspension depending on the mileage of the car. I really cant go and say GTO have poor handling because I have never driven one. lol

If you wanna have a fast car and have that left over money for mods I would go with the GTO or the WS6. You can have some money left over to toughen up the suspension and start modding the car. A LS2 GTO would be great for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK the Ws6 will have the biggest aftermarket for suspension parts out of those 3. They are good handling cars with stock suspension, but with just a few changes they can hang with pretty much everything you run across. My only issue for my car is that I'm running Kumho all seasons, they don't provide the level of traction I need, but even with that downfall I can stick with my friend's evo X quite comfortably. He will obviously do better on a track, but on the road our comfort zones are pretty even. I'm happy with how my car handles with the few suspension mods it has and I can't wait to start doing more.

Remember that on the street, the GTO and CTS will feel much more solid because they are IRS. They won't have the tendency to hop around on corners like the WS6 will. If you're looking for the best street car out of the 3 that will also do good on a track I'd pick the GTO simply because I don't want a 4 door, but the CTS is an awesome car. For what it's worth my T/A is a pain in the *** to drive on anything but a smooth road, it bottoms out, scrapes the y pipe, air damn, front bumper, exhaust tips occasionally on driveways, and you can't open the passenger door next to most curbs. But most of that applies to any lowered car. I'm thinking of switching to strano springs and solving some of those problems

Last edited by 94 White T/A; 03-25-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CTS-V 2 door coupe. It starts out at 553 hp black 20% tint.

My I sure have good taste when I'm spending your money.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

He did specify a first gen cts-v though
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Teching In

What about a c5 z06? Good for a DD, handles great,etc
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sreve
CTS-V 2 door coupe. It starts out at 553 hp black 20% tint.

My I sure have good taste when I'm spending your money.
To be honest I haven't even looked at the 2nd gen cts', but I bet even the base v6 coupe would be out of my price range.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StormTrooperZ06
What about a c5 z06? Good for a DD, handles great,etc
I have thought about the c5 zo6 or just a base c6, but I'm not really much of a corvette guy. I'm not crazy over the styling or how everybody and their mother has one. I want a car you don't see every day. Plus I would prefer 4 seats instead of 2. Although I gotta admit those new stingrays... 😍
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I think a lower mileage non-abused Trans Am is the way to go. They are not 'run of the mill' anymore either, unless your area is loaded with them for some reason. The handling is very good and if you want even better than factory, the modifications are somewhat affordable. I've owned a '95 Porsche 911 and an '02 BMW Z3 and those cars have excellent handling ability. In contrast, the T/A is no slouch, and with the right driver, very close. You won't be disappointed at all BUT you do have to buy the right car. You can't buy a beaten example and expect it to perform correct. Best of luck with your decision and search!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Teching In

How about the Pontiac G8 GT. Seems like it may fit your bill, Fun, spacious V8 muscle sedan. My wife drives mine to work during the week and I get to play with it on the weekends! They respond very well to minor mods such as headers and tune! Mine has a small cam, and some headwork and it has gone 11.7 @ 121...

Just throwin it out there. good Luck on your hunt for a new car!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I've driven gtos, trans ams, and a cts. The ride for the cts is very cushy. It is a caddy after all! Other than the ride quality, I would say the difference between the three is negligible. And we all know the ws6 is the sexiest of em all
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
And we all know the ws6 is the sexiest of em all
Very true! LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Troy Trackbeast
How about the Pontiac G8 GT. Seems like it may fit your bill, Fun, spacious V8 muscle sedan. My wife drives mine to work during the week and I get to play with it on the weekends! They respond very well to minor mods such as headers and tune! Mine has a small cam, and some headwork and it has gone 11.7 @ 121...

Just throwin it out there. good Luck on your hunt for a new car!
I've thought about the g8, but I really want a Manuel trans! Plus I wonder about the g8's handling since it's almost 2 tons
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I think a lower mileage non-abused Trans Am is the way to go. They are not 'run of the mill' anymore either, unless your area is loaded with them for some reason. The handling is very good and if you want even better than factory, the modifications are somewhat affordable. I've owned a '95 Porsche 911 and an '02 BMW Z3 and those cars have excellent handling ability. In contrast, the T/A is no slouch, and with the right driver, very close. You won't be disappointed at all BUT you do have to buy the right car. You can't buy a beaten example and expect it to perform correct. Best of luck with your decision and search!
Hmm ya I think I'm now deciding between the t/a or the V. I think I'm
Just gonna test drive both of them. Thanks for all the help everyone
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lukesevi94
I've thought about the g8, but I really want a Manuel trans! Plus I wonder about the g8's handling since it's almost 2 tons
The G8 GXP has a manual (LS3) option- The GXP also has brembos and full FE3 vette suspension. Actually handles quite well.

Not sure what you price range is but GXP's go for 25-30, the GT's are closer to 20.

Good Luck! I really like the V's too but have never driven one.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Teching In

C5 Z06 hands down is the best bang for your buck you can get. If you want a track prepped C5Z, I have mine for sale that would include everything you would need for a car to be track ready for $19k. I have extra tires and other spares to go along with it. It already has a SCCA/NASA approved cage in it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-race-car.html
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 to the above post, a C5 Z06 would be the best bang for the buck if you can afford it.
Otherwise, test drive them all and decide what suits you best.
Know this though, from the factory the Fbodies are drastically held back by shitty shocks. They have good grip, but their balance, control, and feel are lack luster (this is where good shocks come in).
Anyway, if you are serious about tracking the cars take a look at what class they are in (F-stock for all of them with bolt-ons)- this class is dominated by fbodies because they are the lightest of bunch, and can fit the widest wheels/tires, and when setup right actually handle really well.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

^ Bilsteins are the best "mod" i ever did for the feel of the car. First thing i do if i ever get another Fbody will be shocks
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Teching In

I have been thinking about the c5 zo6, but I don't like how everybody and their mother has a corvette now, plus the two seats is kind of inconvenient. And the g8 gxp does slightly stretch my budget. So I'm thinking about the t/a or V still, MAYBE a c5 zo6 or maybe an evo IX or e46 m3
Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

T/A is cheap and easy to make even better than it already is (comparing vehicles from that vintage, anyway). While I've never driven a CTSV, I've owned a LS2 GTO and several LS1 f-bodys... I am back in a LS1 Fbody for a reason

Quick Reply: I dont know what to buy...please help!