General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Castol Edge 5w40...now ticking!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Castol Edge 5w40...now ticking!

So I changed my oil from a semi-synthetic to the Castrol Edge with SPT (formerly w/Syntec) 5w40 full synthetic. Now the ls1 is tapping/ticking and it's kind of annoying. However, I've noted a slight increase in oil pressure. I surmise that this car simply is louder with vitually ANY synthetic oil! I've tried 'em all, and the only time it's "tap-free" is when I run a conventional oil. Not bad with semi-syn, but still not quiet.

On a side-note, I lost about 2 litres Castol on the ground after start up as a result of accidentally having two oil filter rubber gaskets on the car. I guess the old gasket was stuck to the engine and I didn't realize it, and when I put on the new Wix filter I inadvertantly doubled up the gaskets. Oil spewed everywhere . Novice mistake I know...

I'm just wondering if going with a thicker synthetic would bring the viscocity back to similar vis. as conventional oil? That's why I tried the w40 rather than the typical w30 in the first place.

Anyone notice that the Aussies use EXTREMELY thick oils down there in their Commodore Ls1s? Like 20w50 and even w60 is commonplace. WHY? Any insight?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or is it just LS1=Loud Sound Inside?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I surmise that this car simply is louder with vitually ANY synthetic oil! I've tried 'em all, and the only time it's "tap-free" is when I run a conventional oil. Not bad with semi-syn, but still not quiet.
I used GC for a long time till I noticed that valvetrain was quieter with conventional or semi-syn. Why pay out the big bucks for synthetic when your valvetrain beats on itself as result?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i use Castrol SynBlend... still have LS1 noise, but its not as loud as others

Quick Reply: Castol Edge 5w40...now ticking!