General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Question

If I purchase a really solid radiator, is there a need for a tranny cooler? Are there any aftermarket radiators that can kill two birds (not having to get a tranny cooler) with one stone?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It's not about the radiator itself, but rather the fluid temp of the coolant. Trans coolers that are internal to a radiator are fluid-to-fluid coolers, meaning that the trans fluid is passed through the coolant in the radiator tank, and "cooled" by this coolant. If the coolant is hotter than the trans fluid, then it actually becomes a "warmer". But under heavy use, the trans fluid could potentially get much hotter than designed coolant temps, therefore it would be a "cooler". Thing is, you won't be able to get the trans fluid temp down any lower than whatever temp the coolant is in the radiator tank. With an external cooler, potential cooling is greater (since ambient air temp will be lower than coolant temps) and you're also not heating up the coolant with hot trans fluid (for those times where trans fluid temp is actually higher than coolant temp).

For a stock car, you're OK with the "in-radiator" trans cooler, but an external aftermarket unit still isn't a bad idea. If you have a higher stall converter, or anything else that would generate a lot more heat than stock, it's always best to do an external cooler. Some people like to delete the factory cooler entirely when adding an external one, while others like to keep both and just put the external cooler in line *after* the stock cooler. There are good points and opinions on both sides of that debate, so you'd have to read and decide for yourself.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's not about the radiator itself, but rather the fluid temp of the coolant. Trans coolers that are internal to a radiator are fluid-to-fluid coolers, meaning that the trans fluid is passed through the coolant in the radiator tank, and "cooled" by this coolant. If the coolant is hotter than the trans fluid, then it actually becomes a "warmer". But under heavy use, the trans fluid could potentially get much hotter than designed coolant temps, therefore it would be a "cooler". Thing is, you won't be able to get the trans fluid temp down any lower than whatever temp the coolant is in the radiator tank. With an external cooler, potential cooling is greater (since ambient air temp will be lower than coolant temps) and you're also not heating up the coolant with hot trans fluid (for those times where trans fluid temp is actually higher than coolant temp).

For a stock car, you're OK with the "in-radiator" trans cooler, but an external aftermarket unit still isn't a bad idea. If you have a higher stall converter, or anything else that would generate a lot more heat than stock, it's always best to do an external cooler. Some people like to delete the factory cooler entirely when adding an external one, while others like to keep both and just put the external cooler in line *after* the stock cooler. There are good points and opinions on both sides of that debate, so you'd have to read and decide for yourself.
As always, thank you for your knowledge. I thought there might be some beast radiator on the market with a tranny cooler on the inside that may work much better than the stock one, I think that is all I am looking for. I'll most likely get an external tranny cooler, but I thought I might as well see if there are any radiators that can do that job well enough (better than stock) by keeping the coolant lower than what stock can do, which in turn would keep the tranny fluid cooler than the stock one also.

Quick Reply: Radiator Question