General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm going to make a suggestion here and Im gonna say somthing nobody else has ( or so that I've read) 17 yr olds get tickets in fast cars, the end.
Just becuase you are 17 and most likely look young too, if you think not think again.
The chances/odds are indeed against you and I would suggest trying somthing a bit more mild for the next 2 years. You could be driving speed limit and have exhaust and get pulled over for that etc.... So much many young people do not contemplate before making a risk/decision on a car. You may LOVE the feel and the power and the sound of the car, but do you need it? No, but neither do I or the rest of the people on the board, a LT1/LS1 both are a luxury to be able to own, it should come LAST on the checklist, after you are graduated from school with a little place of your own, save up a grand or two and walk out and finance one.
Now somone who TRULY was responsible and had thier **** together would be thinking in advance
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW,
I love all these people saying oh if you pay for it then your parents can't say anything. Have fun paying rent and all the bills for your apartment and you'll have to get your own insurance policy which will be 500+/month at your age for an ls1 and if your parents were going to help with college... ya **** your parents man they don't do **** for you!

just move out and live in your trans am for the rest of your life

i just want to expand on the insurance aspect:
Your parents probably don't want you on their policy with an Fbody. Just for kicks, go get a quote for your own policy and post it up! I did this when I was 19 and it cam $540/month so I waited another 3 years.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont risk messing up your parents insurance. just wait till your older and have been driving a while to get one.

btw thats really crazy how its only 180 a month insurance for you. I was quoted 785 a month for a honda prelude and im 20. geico is retarded though.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1500
Ok I'm going to make a suggestion here and Im gonna say somthing nobody else has ( or so that I've read) 17 yr olds get tickets in fast cars, the end.
Just becuase you are 17 and most likely look young too, if you think not think again.
The chances/odds are indeed against you and I would suggest trying somthing a bit more mild for the next 2 years. You could be driving speed limit and have exhaust and get pulled over for that etc.... So much many young people do not contemplate before making a risk/decision on a car. You may LOVE the feel and the power and the sound of the car, but do you need it? No, but neither do I or the rest of the people on the board, a LT1/LS1 both are a luxury to be able to own, it should come LAST on the checklist, after you are graduated from school with a little place of your own, save up a grand or two and walk out and finance one.
Now somone who TRULY was responsible and had thier **** together would be thinking in advance
This is thought to consider. I was pulled over once when I was 18 for not wearing my seatbelt. Not only WAS I wearing it, but I had the t-tops off and the windows down in broad daylight. I was CREEPING too. This was when the car was completely stock with a flowmaster slapped on.

Some cops got picked on as kids and ****-off to their attempts at intimidating young people. You won't be able to escape this in anything but an incognito ride.

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
dont risk messing up your parents insurance. just wait till your older and have been driving a while to get one.

btw thats really crazy how its only 180 a month insurance for you. I was quoted 785 a month for a honda prelude and im 20. geico is retarded though.

$785/month? Maby $785 per 6-months!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Teching In

im 16 and got a 94 lt1 with work.. the ytold me keep good grades make all the payments and buy the car and i did it
Old 07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
Dude, seriously buy a 93-97 LT1 with high miles for your first car and get used to it. ior even a <gasp> beater 5.0. Don't head straight out and buy an LS1, get used to driving a POS first cause, sorry to say, you'll probbaly **** it up anyways. Everyone wrecks their first car...
im not sure if i should be offended by the lt1 and POS comment....

I would say a LT1 or a LS1 is a bad idea. THey are the same car with a slight differnce in horsepower.

You rode in a 11 seconad LS1 car and then you were hooked. You were hooked on the speed and that is not a good idea.

Im only 18, but I have never had any kind of citation at all and no wrecks.

I vote fopr you to buy a 98+ v6 Trans Am. THey have the coolest front bumper.. lol. Then when you want a v8 is is pretty damn cheap to drop a ls1 in or not bad to buy a new car.

My insurance is $80 a month liability

Originally Posted by kenkaru
BTW,
I love all these people saying oh if you pay for it then your parents can't say anything. Have fun paying rent and all the bills for your apartment and you'll have to get your own insurance policy which will be 500+/month at your age for an ls1 and if your parents were going to help with college... ya **** your parents man they don't do **** for you!

just move out and live in your trans am for the rest of your life

i just want to expand on the insurance aspect:
Your parents probably don't want you on their policy with an Fbody. Just for kicks, go get a quote for your own policy and post it up! I did this when I was 19 and it cam $540/month so I waited another 3 years.
Im on my parents insurance. When im just driving aorund getting places my car never gets above 2k rpm. I get better milage and less likely to get a ticket. It takes more self control than any person in their late teen will posses to stay out of the gas on one of these cars.

I still suggest you wait untill later. My car sits 5 days out of the week. Helps keep the possibilty of getting pulled over and getting a ticket way down.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're probably not gonna want to hear this, but i STRONGLY recommend you do not buy an LS1 for your first car. i suggest you buy a cheap, beater car to teach you how to drive. you say you're a pretty good driver for your age. bullshit. no 17 year old is a good driver. i don't care if you're the best track driver in the world either, you can very well suck on the street. there are far too many variables that you have to learn. your first car will likely get pinged, dinged, you're gonna scrape the rims on soooo many curbs, if you parallel park a lot, i'm sure your back bumper will see action...

f-bodies are one of the trickiest cars to drive. they have one of the biggest blind spots in the world (i have to make crazy angles to see when i make some left turns), they are a very strange shape with the super long nose and super short rear end, they have very poor weight distribution, and they are nearly impossible to drive in the snow and not the best in the rain either.

i think it's a poor decision to buy such a nice car as your first car. buy something that you don't mind if it gets dinged or scraped. then, once you're used to driving (and we're talking 1-2 years here), get something nice.

i'm so glad i bought a V6 f-body for my first car. i think i woulda got into a lot of trouble with an LS1 for my first car. it's hard to handle all that power when you've never been driving.

i strongly recommend you buy a V6 f-body as your first car and drive it for a year. it'll teach you all the tricks of driving/parking an f-body, but the car won't have power to break itself or you since mashing it at a standstill gets traction in 2 seconds. you won't have to worry about going sideways when you shift.

i hope you take my advice on this. get a V6 and learn how to drive before you make such a big leap. people that buy V8's with tons of power in their first car have a big possibility of getting into a bad wreck. you think you know how to drive but man, you just don't. no one is safe on the road, no one.

just for the record, my 2001 5.7L V8 firebird forumla is only $50 a year more to insure than my old 1995 3.4L V6 firebird, so the engine makes nearly no difference in insurance - and i live in NJ, home of the nation's highest insurance premiums and i turn 20 in 2 weeks so i'm a young'n.
**** you man, I've had TWO ls1's since I turned 16 (18 now) and I havn't had a single problem yet. THANK YOU! OH and I've also owned a R6 as well! Tell me thats not fast and dangerous, and yet I still had no problem. Now if your going to tell me that a 16 or 17 year old is to dumb to drive one of these cars you are WRONG. It's all just how responsible you want to be.

Alright man as for you paying for the car payments(I pay $290), insurance, and gas these days it's going to add up to alot of money quick. But what you need to do is show your parents that you really WANT a ls1. You wouldn't believe how hard I worked on my parents to let me get one, and now that I do, I can show them how much I appreciate it. You need to get their trust and show them you won't go out and kill youself in a fast car.
I really hope this helps man, seriously just keep showing your parents how bad you want one and try and show them how responsible you can be.

Joel
Old 07-25-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

chil out joel...90 percent of 16 to 18 year olds shouldn't be behind the wheel of these cars, especially as first vehicles. I drove two huge trucks, a 90 f250 to start off followed by a 04 2500hd 4x4, and now a 02 Z M6 finally. I wouldn't have done it any other way other than maybe buying a V6 inbetween the ford and the LS1 instead of the 2500 HD (which i loved as well). You are part of the minority, or maybe you just have gotten lucky....
Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssmaro
**** you man, I've had TWO ls1's since I turned 16 (18 now) and I havn't had a single problem yet. THANK YOU! OH and I've also owned a R6 as well! Tell me thats not fast and dangerous, and yet I still had no problem. Now if your going to tell me that a 16 or 17 year old is to dumb to drive one of these cars you are WRONG. It's all just how responsible you want to be.

Alright man as for you paying for the car payments(I pay $290), insurance, and gas these days it's going to add up to alot of money quick. But what you need to do is show your parents that you really WANT a ls1. You wouldn't believe how hard I worked on my parents to let me get one, and now that I do, I can show them how much I appreciate it. You need to get their trust and show them you won't go out and kill youself in a fast car.
I really hope this helps man, seriously just keep showing your parents how bad you want one and try and show them how responsible you can be.

Joel
lol nice way to start off a post

I just don't get it... as a young person, you should know more than anyone that MOST 17 yr olds shouldn't have a 350hp car.

BTW, no tickets/no accidents doesn't mean crap because we've all done some retarded stuff and just lucked out on not coming around a corner to meet a fallen limb or parked car or a jogger. You're better off doing stupid stuff in a slower car since the corners come up a lot slower.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

You guys are correct, I would hate to think about what most teenagers would do driving these cars. All I'm saying is that if your smart and responsible, you'll be fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true
When I was 17, I wasn't smart OR responsible! lol
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pay $300+ liability only. God, I hate insurance compaines
Same here and it sucks!! And the worst part is that its only liability
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Z28 when I turned 19. If I had it as my first car, I wouldn't be here. Even if I had gotten it at 17, I still think I would have wrecked it. Everybody is different, and some people are mature enough to handle an LS1 at 17.

That aside, you need to consider your fiances. You do not want to be in debt going into college. College should be your main priority, not working to make a car payment. Hell, my car is paid off and I'm already $2000 in debt from just trivial **** I've bought in college and maintaining the car.

EDIT: Can somebody post that picture of Spuds again, the link quit working.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

If your going into college and getting an ls1 consider something else here is a list of what i have had to replace while in school, all belts, belt tensioner, Clutch and all hydrualics, regular maintnance **** like spark plugs, SYNTHENTIC OIL, premium gas, Tires at $150 a piece, theres more that i cant think of but if your ona college budget this is not the car for you i learned the hard way lol.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm really finding very few people in here with a legit reason for me or any other teen to not get one.

There are a couple views I'm seeing...

1) I didn't have the car when I was young, you shouldn't get one because I'm a jealous *****

2) You should get a V6 first because I had to

3) Insurance and gas and maitenance are going to kill you, but if it's what you want get it

4) I got one when I was young, here I am, no tickets, and I've cruised a nice car.

5) Kill your parents, get their life insurance, buy the car and be happy

Honestly, I don't care ''what most teens do,'' all people are different and I'm not a ******* statistic. If you're just saying that I shouldn't get one because you were stuck with a v6/other and were unhappy, then GTFO.

I WILL NOT buy a V6 fbody. I honestly couldn't do it. I'm all about the sound and feel of a V8 and I personally think anyone who buys a V6 sports car kills the point of the word ''sport.''

Insurance and gas isn't too terrible for me, the mpg gain from the car will pay off the insurance difference. Maitenance will all be free, except parts cost (discounted, of course.)

I can't just go out and buy the car. It's my money, I want the car, but I HAVE to have approval because of that whole thing called not being 18. Also the only way I can get one is if i stay in good hands with my parents so I can be on their policy, and have them help me out if I need anything. I'm not trying to be some emo kid and run away from my parents because they wont buy me a skateboard, I love my parents fine and I'm not trying to make this some huge battle.

And now I'm going to **** off probably half of the people in this thread. I'm looking into buying an 11 second TA (tschmidt's.) Sure it's a lot more motor, but that has a ton of advantages. The car will idle up to speed faster then my Heep will WOT up to speed, the engine is working a TON less and getting far better mpg. Now, the car is also BUILT like ah-ah-ah-ahnold. It has everything that I'd do to a car anyways, so I wouldn't be modding it (other then wheels and tires). It is sad that this 400+rwhp is getting better gas mileage getting on it quite a bit then my mom does. Also, when you have that much power you have NOTHING to prove. No ricers will try to race it.

Cop attention is what I'm worried about the most, for bullshit like ''not turning the signal on 100ft before turn'' or lame **** like that. I know a cop won't catch me speeding, because I don't speed. The car is red, it's mean, it's loud, it draws attention. Problem? Yes, only if you give cops a reason to pull you over. Also being where I'm located most of the cops are conservative and would much rather be bothering a ricer than a muscle car or lifted truck.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Seriously whats the point of getting an 11 sec car if you arent gonna use it. But good luck on gettin the TA I wish I had a fast car.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

It will be used, just in the right place at the *hopefully* right time. The nice thing about the car is it can easily be daily driven, but it has power on tap when you need it. Also, i'm very interested in starting to drag race (at the strip of course), it seems like an easy way to go fast legally.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

A 17 y/o starting at the track with a 11 sec car. Your brave man Im 17 too but I started with a 16 sec car to get the hang of the track and to practice hopefully later on this yaer my dad will let me drive his 10 sec 1968 Camaro
I want to make at least 10 more passes in the RS first though
Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flash, it sounds like your beater is the biggest POS ever. I'd sell it and get something like a $2000 94 Accord that hopefully won't need to be fixed weekly. This way you can focus all your $$$ and time into making your fbod faster and not wasting more time and money fixing your beater.

Although if you go my route, you'll only be able to afford a MINT LT1(I saw a beautiful 1996 Z28 with 34,000 miles the other day for $6,000). Also, buying your friend's 11 second Trans Am is downright stupid IMO when you've never owned anything faster than an 18 second Jeep. Very steep learning curve with that car, and a lot more potential for it to bite you in the ***, even over a stock LS1.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I'm 18 and have own 3 LS1 f-bodies! When I was 15 my parents bought a brand new 2002 z28 a4 as the going out car but it was never practical for them so I would be the primary user of that car, it was traded in along time ago, but ofcoarse I was hooked to the power of the LS1 so at 17 I bought my own 2002 T/A a4, and now at 18 I have sold my t/a bought myself a 93' Firehawk 6-spd Hardtop. Anyways, its not wise to buy a ls1 car at 18 but if your responsible enough to control your urges of racing those pusy mustangs then you should be ok.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1