General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
hahaah and i like how NBMgreg was on LS1tech.com at 3:30 in the morning leaving posts

hahahahhaha ok? what does that have to do with anything? lol
Old 07-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Banned

look, its 2am!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

wel it sounds like you might get it after all. but you will prolly want to take that loan out and have your 'rents co-sign, you've got to start building credit up some time, just pay it off real quick if you can. i payed off my $8k loan within a year of buying my Z so i saved allot on the interest, but it was rough, specialy when i started getting ticketed left and right(i started pulling over for cops, too nice of a car to risk it) i had thousands in fines and when winter came i could just barley manage to hold on to it. and i wouldnt start modding it until you get it payed for entirely and until you get used to the power, im sure its more than enough for you to handle in stock trim. goodluck getting one tho, please dont wreck it.. i had the mis-fortune last month of seeing an 18y/o go fishtailing WOT into a tree with his new LS1 his parents had just bought him for graduation :-/
Old 07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

dont buy one plane and simple, your friends will always pressure you into doing something stupid with the car, or your friends wont respect what you have and will end up tearing the car up(like every high school kid does) also think of all the bad drivers u have to park next to in your school parking lot?? all those young girls that just got there DL's???? i say hold off another year or two untill u get out of high school and in college that is what i did, hell i waited untill my second year of college to get one.

also all the money u will spend, im going broke trying to pay for it, because i cant keep the car stock, i have to keep modding the car for some reason and i cant figure it out.

but which ever option u decide to go with good luck man
Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might last at most a few weeks and you will end up running the hell outta it, thats what I always did! I've had 19 cars(bought, drove, sold) and i'm 20. i'd say buy cheaper cars, do a few things, sell, and work yourway up to an ls1 car. loans suck. i had a slow 92rs as my first and i never street raced, but i burned a lot of tires! after payinhg for stuff, you get a better appreciation, and you will eventually grow up, i know i have...but i still have the urge.if you get one, remember there is a time and place to act stupid, dont do it in the middle of town. thats all i got to say. be good
Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't. Start with a V6.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Mod.... please lock thread. This is gay.

No teenager needs a sports car. They need to work and build character. Everyone here knows what they were like when they were a teen. You think you can handle it, but, you can't. Your capacity is limited. You aren't grown. Maybe you are better compared to other teens your age, but you are ignorant compared to the skilled, experienced driver.

I can not tell you how many teens have almost slammed into the back of my car because they werent paying attention or have wrecked on main street from trying to drive like an Indy car to impress girls. It pisses me off when I come off night shift and I have to deal with that ****.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

No teenager needs a sports car. They need to work and build character. Everyone here knows what they were like when they were a teen. You think you can handle it, but, you can't. Your capacity is limited. You aren't grown. Maybe you are better compared to other teens your age, but you are ignorant compared to the skilled, experienced driver.

I can not tell you how many teens have almost slammed into the back of my car because they werent paying attention or have wrecked on main street from trying to drive like an Indy car to impress girls. It pisses me off when I come off night shift and I have to deal with that ****.

haha.... I agree ....
Old 07-16-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, get a V6 Fbody and if you want, put some money into handling and other stuff you can someday transfer to a v8 if you wish.

with a v6, WHEN (not if) you crash, you'll have a better chance of surviving because you won't be going as fast. I definitely wouldn't have survived if I had an LS1 before I was 21.

More detailed: You're going to want to race some moron down the backroads (or highway) and you're going to get so caught up in the moment, you'll go into a corner too fast and BAM! Your car, your passenger, and you are dead. With a V6, you'll have several similar experiences except you'll only be going a little too fast instead of 50mph too fast.

Even racecar drivers start out with slow cars.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Dude, get a V6 Fbody and if you want, put some money into handling and other stuff you can someday transfer to a v8 if you wish.

with a v6, WHEN (not if) you crash, you'll have a better chance of surviving because you won't be going as fast. I definitely wouldn't have survived if I had an LS1 before I was 21.

More detailed: You're going to want to race some moron down the backroads (or highway) and you're going to get so caught up in the moment, you'll go into a corner too fast and BAM! Your car, your passenger, and you are dead. With a V6, you'll have several similar experiences except you'll only be going a little too fast instead of 50mph too fast.

Even racecar drivers start out with slow cars.
I have to completely disagree. I have been driving powerfull V-8's since I got my lisence. In fact, I learned how to drive in a 95 camaro z28. The only vehicle that I was involved in a wreck in was a durango on black ice. When it hit the tree, I was going approximately 10 mph. currently I drive an automatic V6 bird and I can't stand it. It is so boring. I never get into races. ( no one ever tries to iniate one with me) Get what your heart desires, not what other people tell you to get, and above all, don't be stupid. If you parents don't want you to do something in your car, there is a good reason.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rabada
I have to completely disagree. I have been driving powerfull V-8's since I got my lisence. In fact, I learned how to drive in a 95 camaro z28. The only vehicle that I was involved in a wreck in was a durango on black ice. When it hit the tree, I was going approximately 10 mph. currently I drive an automatic V6 bird and I can't stand it. It is so boring. I never get into races. ( no one ever tries to iniate one with me) Get what your heart desires, not what other people tell you to get, and above all, don't be stupid. If you parents don't want you to do something in your car, there is a good reason.
So you're recommending a 350hp sports car (with handling disproportionate to its power) to a 17 yr old and one of the reasons you promote the V8 for him is so he can get into street races.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

Agreed 100%. I remember perfectly seeing the brand new 2001 NBM Z28 when I went to buy a car. I wanted it so bad. I ended up with an older V6. I was pissed at the time, but it turned out excellent and I'm glad that I started off with a slower car.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's almost like a new motorcycle rider starting out on an 06 hayabusa. yeah, it's a cool bike, but no one's gonna know what it looked like, or what you looked like when you wrap yourself around a tree. start slow, then move your way up.

i would honestly recommend getting a thirdgen. the body style is sweet, you can pick one up in decent shape pretty cheap, and you can still make decent power.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
Dude, seriously buy a 93-97 LT1 with high miles for your first car and get used to it. ior even a <gasp> beater 5.0. Don't head straight out and buy an LS1, get used to driving a POS first cause, sorry to say, you'll probbaly **** it up anyways. Everyone wrecks their first car...
Or first 2, Make sure you dont have the stupid gene. I do and it frequently results in stupid things on my part.

I had to go in order had a 4 then 6 a now an 8

Look just tell them what I did to justify the ls1. That my first two cars were SLOW. therefore the only fun thing we could do was Rip E-Brake going 70. Then the stupid gene pushed me into a 85 mph slide into a mailbox. Actually I managed to walk a 2000 grandam GT going about 65 backwards off the main road perfectly down a driveway across their yard and an alley then across another driveway into a mailbox. Ripped the back 2 wheels off my grand am. The saturn was killed when we removed the manifold and shoved an aluminum pipe into the port on the head then proceded to launch hotdogs, potatos, eggs, and a bananna. Survived until we poured octan booster into the head.
It was fun though. I mean i pain $50.00 for a saturn with 230,000 miles so i didnt care
Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

So you're recommending a 350hp sports car (with handling disproportionate to its power) to a 17 yr old and one of the reasons you promote the V8 for him is so he can get into street races.
That was poorly phrased, what I meant to say is that with my current car, a firebird, no ricers or anyone seems to want to race me. Even if they did try to race me I would not race them. Thus it seems to me that it would not take much effort to not get involved in street races. I didn't find an LT-1 that difficult to handle, and I don't see a stock LS-1 as much more difficult. I have also had the chance to drive a LT-1 corvette a few times when I was seventeen and yet again no one tried to race me, and I would never try to race anybody.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Camaro at 17, and I've never even been ticketed in it for any reason.

It was 3 days before my 18th birthday. I have been around racing from motocross to dirt track for most of my life so it wasn't a big shocker for me. Every person is different, you can't just say "You're 17, so you can't have.....", it's a little too generalized. I had a few buddies in high school that I wouldn't let drive my damn Saturn, then a few more that I would let take my car out no questions asked if they would have wanted to. Those same people I'd treat the same way today.

Is a 12 second car safe for most 17 year olds? No. Is it safe for some? Yes.

I mellow'd out an incredible amount after I got my LSx car. I used to drive like a nutt-case in my s-10, I hardly break the speed limit in this thing. Something about becoming more mature I guess. Not all people react this way, some do. I'm sure some of you people who are saying NO do so because you have kids of your own, but I'm not to that point yet.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

If you want a ls1 get a ls1. you may not be able to get it any time soon but save up and in a year or so you may be able to buy one. Your parents should understand (hopefully) mostly if you can pay cash for it. I bought my lt1 and paid cash for it when i was a junior in high school. Hopefully your parents will help you though so you can get one a lot sooner. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Take it from me (I was 17 when I got my Z28) it can be challenging to talk them in to it but it can be done. Just show them you are a responsible driver and if they are worried about you speeding let them know you plan to take full responsibility for any tickets/insurance that comes with it. Then you get into the fun world of mods and they'll break ya faster than you know it. I swore I was going to keep mine stock when I bought it and that lasted about 3 weeks First it was wheels/tires then it led to performance crap and so on, I've only had the car about 6 months and its already pretty much a full boltons car and I'm already shopping for my next mod...They're fun cars enjoy it while your young!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I got my Camaro at 17, and I've never even been ticketed in it for any reason.

It was 3 days before my 18th birthday. I have been around racing from motocross to dirt track for most of my life so it wasn't a big shocker for me. ...
Yes, there are some 17yr olds who can handle an LS1. All of them have prior experience in motorsports too.
Did you start out on a 250cc dirt bike?
Would you recommend a 700cc sled to a newby?
Are ABEC 7's good for novice rollerbladers?
...learn to shoot with a Desert Eagle?

An LS1 is not a good vehicle for MOST 17 year olds. It's an individual judgement call.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there are some 17yr olds who can handle an LS1. All of them have prior experience in motorsports too.
Did you start out on a 250cc dirt bike?
Would you recommend a 700cc sled to a newby?
Are ABEC 7's good for novice rollerbladers?
...learn to shoot with a Desert Eagle?

An LS1 is not a good vehicle for MOST 17 year olds. It's an individual judgement call.
This was my point.

"Showing your parents you're responsible" doesn't mean **** if you are faking it lol. Anybody can woo their parents into anything (for the most part), but you need to be careful. These cars can outrun 99% of all cars on the road without even downshifting from OD.

BTW - Guy across town has a ***** out 383 stroker Chevy Luv w/ a 250 shot that his SON has driven 8.6x@150 pulling a 3' wheel-stand out of the hole. He's 17-18 years old.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1