General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who has taken their cars on road trips????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has taken their cars on road trips????

I know this may sound like a dumb question but who takes or has taken their car on a road trip. I dont mean to the grocery store but rather on a longer trip. I live in seattle and would like to take a trip to california to see some car races this summer. Le mans, nascar, cart, ama events are all held in different states california being the closest. I know i can fly but driving would be more fun. My fear is rock chips, the added miles, and just not wanting to go that far with her. I know it sounds dumb but like others out there it only comes out to play on sunny days and i like to keep the milage down. Just wondering who has gone where and how did everything turn out. I KNOW the car will do it im just curious to hear your experiences.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Drove mine from atlanta to miami. No problems or rock chips. if u have t-tops dont take them off while ur on the highway kills ur gas milage. I honsetly didnt think it was gunna be that bad.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98sskidd
Drove mine from atlanta to miami. No problems or rock chips. if u have t-tops dont take them off while ur on the highway kills ur gas milage. I honsetly didnt think it was gunna be that bad.
It had to be worth it though, gotta love them drives on the highway with the t-tops off
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Thats what i was thinking but i wanted to see how everyone else did. No ttops on this one had them on my 99. I kind of miss them but i think i like the coupe more.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

i drove from El Paso, TX to San Jose, Ca(1250mi) twice. was the best damn drive of my life, was my first roadtrip of my life too, any how drove to cali w/ just bolt ons, installed my cam at a buddies house in cali, and drove back to TX untuned, got about 26mpg on bolt-ons, 24-25mpg untuned on the drive back. then after i came back to TX i installed my heads and drove to lubbuck,tx about 330mi to get a tune, then back to El Paso. came up on orders, so i had to take my car back to cali got 27mpg on that trip. all in all, the drives are fun, u see alot of cars sometimes even catch a race or two. i got my *** handed to me by a mercades V-12 , but i beat a BMW M5 V10 , when i leave korea ill b stationed in Ft.Lewis and ill b making the drive from Cali to Was and back alot
Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

ohh yeah i raced the cars on bolt-ons hehe, didnt wanna risk breaking something the second time around due to orders
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I use it mostly for trips. I love to drive it. Once me and the wife left for party 100 miles away. Left from there for a profootball game. 11 hours and 400 miles in the SS later we were home again. Country roads, highways and in small towns and big. Even let the wife drive half a hundred.

Avoiding a drive down the west coast because you might get a stone chip or rackup an extra few hundred miles is just plain silly. Sounds like perfect use of the car.

If the clock on mine someday rolls over several 100k miles it will just be more great memories in the bank.

Live and enjoy!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Default Great experience

My longest trip was over 600 miles in one day. It was a pleasure but it was a long time sitting in that baby. Butt and back were feeling it at the 500 mile mark. Just avoid all trucks in front of you as far as debris flying all over your car. Be conscious of it and don't follow them. Even though cars can kick up crap too it is WAY more likely with a truck. Go for it! It's fun! By the way, it will rain. As much as I try to avoid it, there are clouds out there looking for our machines. LOL!!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only road trip that I've taking in the Z is Ft Worth to San Antonio 250 miles each way!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Drive Mine On The Hot Rod Power Tour Every Year.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I don't take mine. It stays in the garage...I took it tampa once , 45 miles for a car show....

but on a long trip I take the lightning, or the GTO....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Launching!

you must baby the hell out of your car... i drove 250 miles in a 1971 el camino with headers, flowmasters, TH350, and no radio. talk about hard core
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 444 Likes on 355 Posts

The first time I ever drove my car was on a road trip. I live in Michigan and I drove down with my GF to North Carolina to buy the car. Drove it back 800 miles without any problems.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Interesting you started this thread. I'm in the same boat,I live in NJ and my parents rented a house in NC for 2 weeks and the whole family is driving. I can either cram in my sisters jetta with her, my bro-in-law, my newphew, and my girl. Drive the girls saturn(my beater that I drive to school in VT). Or do what I really want and take the ws6. But I never realy drive it in the rain and i'm scared of rock chips aswell(wouldn't do it without a bra). That and miles of course, sitting at 41k right now. This wouldn't be its first long haul though Car is originally from florida, then CT, then to me in NJ.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I have driven mine back and forth from NC to SD two times now(about 1500 miles) and am getting ready to leave and do it again on tuesday. I love it. I realize they arent the best riding, most comfortable ride in the world but I love setting the cuise and driving. And plus you cant beat it when you are getting basically 30mpg. Why do people even need Hondas when we have LS1's!!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to have to sleep in the car its not going to be a fun trip, but other wise I would.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
Interesting you started this thread. I'm in the same boat,I live in NJ and my parents rented a house in NC for 2 weeks and the whole family is driving. I can either cram in my sisters jetta with her, my bro-in-law, my newphew, and my girl. Drive the girls saturn(my beater that I drive to school in VT). Or do what I really want and take the ws6. But I never realy drive it in the rain and i'm scared of rock chips aswell(wouldn't do it without a bra). That and miles of course, sitting at 41k right now. This wouldn't be its first long haul though Car is originally from florida, then CT, then to me in NJ.

If your really scared of rock chips, you can get a Clear Bra"

Its pretty much clear stuff they use for graphix etc, you can hardly see if unless your up close.

The other choise, is to use painters tape like Road Racers use on there front ends, to keep them front getting chipped up etc......And then when you get to were ever it is your going, just remove it!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Conversion master

First real road trip was in the 1970 Corvette. I had only owned the car a week, then went on a 2000 mile trip from Seattle to Los Angeles and back.

A buddy of mine flew up and we drove down together with the top down the entire trip. We had a blast!! Only a few things went wrong, had a lifter start ticking, a rock chip in the windshield and we almost lost the convertible top doing 125.

Funny you started this thread. That same buddy and I are finishing that trip 9 years later. I just bought an 04 Silverado SS in Los Angeles and I'm flying down tonight to pick it up. He is going to ride back with me then fly home on Sunday.

I say go for it. The experience is well worth the few rock chips and other quirks that will happen along the way.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, some of you people are nuts. These are fbodys, not exotics that are worth a fortune, drive the damn thing and stop worrying if you get a small chip or a little scratch or put a few miles on it thats what they're for, to enjoy. I drove mine from NJ to Orlando and back within a week. Over 2500 miles in one week with no problems and I am glad I took mine, yeah I had to wash it to get the 1000's of dead bugs, road grime and **** off but it was worth it. So just do it, you'll enjoy the ride much more in your fbody.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Drove mine 2500 miles round trip from Michigan to Daytona Beach last March...There's nothin better than leaving cold, rainy michigan in the morning and cruising with the top down in the warm sun the same evening. I was hesitant to put the miles on, but it was definitely worth it.