General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

WTF, a V10 LSx Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF, a V10 LSx Engine??

Hey guys I googled something related to the LS1 and came across this article form GMHTP about how GM looked into developing a V10 Gen III engine, but decided not to. I had no idea! Man just imagine the power we'd be able to get out of these engines with two extra cylinders!

I remember reading one time they thought about replacing the V6 with more or less a LS1 sans two cylinders.... but a V10?? Damn it GM.

I think they could have squeezed a V10 in the Vette... but the F-body would have tough..... it's too tight in there to begin with.

This is probably anchient history.... but damn a V10. How many of you guys heard about this before? A V10 LSx engine would be damn near impossible to beat.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...3_v10_history/
Attached Thumbnails WTF, a V10 LSx Engine??-0512htp_concept_09_z.jpg   WTF, a V10 LSx Engine??-0512htp_concept_15_z.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Yeah i heard of it! Would have been nice, but i think they would've put it in a Vette for Viper purposes. But on the other hand they really dont need it look at the LS7, it'll hold it's own against bout any V10 or V12 you throw at it!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if the ls7 aint bad enough thats what the lsx block is for the 454's and 434's i saw were bad *** wish someone around here had one
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Launching!

I can see where you guys are coming from but I'm glad it didn't happen and hope it won't. Gm is about the only american producer that doesn't incorporate a v10 in a car or truck (As far as I know for the trucks) and they're still maintaining unbelievable performance. I just think it would make GM look like a sell out to makers like ferrari and other exotics that make v10's and v12's. We're kicking *** with V8's.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hate the way V10s sound....just listen to the vipers.
V8s have the real deep muscle sound that I like
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

To the best of my knowledge, the V10 concept was considered as a replacement in the trucks for the 454 big block. Eventually, GM came out with a taller deck version of the big block with new heads and a cast aluminum version of the LS1 intake and that became known as the 8.1 L (L18) big block (which now seems to be phased out even on a number of the trucks.

I don't think that the V10 variant of the LS series engines was ever destined for a car. GM wanted more displacement for torque with the trucks and the V10 design would give them a fair amount of design commonality if not part commonality. To really get a V10 right, the block needs to be at a 72 degree angle rather than 90 degrees, otherwise, the power strokes would not be evenly spaced apart. Ford has a 90 degree V10, but they have had to go to a special balance shaft and harmonic damper or a special counter weight design as I recall.

On a similar note, a V6 or V12 should have the cylinder geometry at 60 degrees as most are. However, GM's 4.3 L is a 90 degree design and has a balance shaft to damp crankshaft vibrations due to unequal spacing of power pulses.

GM also explored and ran in test vehicles prototype V12 versions of the Northstar. This was a 60 degree block.

Steve
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the Viper V10 is difficult to get sounding "right". Just from a power perspective I think the V10 would have been capable of some ridiculous power. I'm still proud of GM for doing so well with their V8s and not really "needing" a V10, but it would be easier for them to make more power with more cylinders.

I think Ferrari or any other exotics could care less about GM if they made a V10, it's just an engine. That's like saying XYZ Japanese manufacture became a sell out when they introduced a V8. More cylinders = more potential power. That's why the exotic cars use them so much. Plus with more cylinders you don't have to go crazy on the stroke.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I'm just sayin that they should be proud of stickin with the V8, like early muscle had. They haven't had a need to upgrade to a v10 because they're kicking *** with 2 less cylinders.

Quick Reply: WTF, a V10 LSx Engine??