General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

more Autos vs 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more Autos vs 6spd?

why is it so hard to find a 6spd?

are the production numbers much higher for Autos LS1s?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

yea, I forget the exact number but I was in a performance shop and somewhere in the ballpark of 65-70% came with autos, which is why manuals hold there value better
Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Hadn't really noticed if manuals held their value more than autos. Normally, Black Book, NADA, KBB, shows close to or around 1K difference between manual and auto. Of all the new and used cars on our lot I would say 95% are auto. I always found auto's more fun to drive when I was dating since you only needed one hand to drive.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

yea, the way the guy put it to me was that mostly well off people who are usually older buy new cars, and there usually married, so either one of them dont know how or dont want to drive manual so thats the reason why they sell/make more autos b/c they sell easier, not sure I agree with this 100% but thats just waht i was told
Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

i rather row my own gears, and i had a bitch of a time finding my m6 camaros in my area.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We switched computers here in the office, so I no longer have the link to production numbers saved. However, I recall with 4th gen F-bodies about 75% (!!) were A4 trans.

If you want an M6, look in the For Sale forum on this board. The % is almost reversed. Most LS1 members want and have M6 cars it seems.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish mine was M6 i just got way too damn good of a deal on this one, i need a stall- i hear it turns it into a whole nother animal
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wish I picked up an M6 too. But as mentioned, A4s are WAY more common in the general market and I got a decent deal on mine.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dealers order what they think will sell.
70% autos
10% 5spds
20% 6spds
Big colors :
20% Light pewter 20% Black 20% Red

I am older, not well off by any means. I bought new from dealer, M6 SOM
Old 06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a killer deal on my auto 46,000 on it over 2 yrs ago for $7850 and I converted it to a 6spd. All together I actually spent less than buying any M6 T/A I found and I have better than original parts in the clutch,flywheel and tranny.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Dude, I just sold my M6 and bought an A4 project. M6's are better 2% of the time. 98% of the time they sux. I have spilled more coffie trying to shift in my old SS than all the spills in every car I have ever had. Plus the drill mod doesn't work well and you need to buy a mccloud adjustable and newer slave. Its adds up quick. Oh, I had a buddy who was burning through spec 3 clutches and went to an A4. I laughed. Now I understand what he was talking about. I toasted my first clutch in no time trying to launch hard at the track with ET streets. A4's all the way for over all use. M6 for track and roll racing. But miss a gear and ooppss, there goes the race.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea, the way the guy put it to me was that mostly well off people who are usually older buy new cars, and there usually married, so either one of them dont know how or dont want to drive manual so thats the reason why they sell/make more autos b/c they sell easier, not sure I agree with this 100% but thats just waht i was told
I agree with that guy except on the point that most older men can't or won't drive a stick. Most of us old timers have owned or driven stick shifts before

Most woman that buy F-bodies prefer autos. With guys it's probably closer to 50/50 with a lot of guys wanting an auto either for drag racing, daily driving in rush hour traffic or just the inability to drive a stick. You can then add to that mix that there are some married men who wanted an M6 but could only get the wife to sign off on the purchase of an auto (so they could drive it too). And of course there is a small percentage of people who have no preference either way.

So while the majority of LS1tech members seem to prefer the M6, the majority of consumers purchasing F-bodies at the dealership lots either preferred or were willing to buy an automatic. IMO this is why dealerships purchased approx 70% autos to 30% manuals when they ordered F-bodies to put on thier lots.

Personally, I am more then happy with a stalled auto. Getting pinned in my seat while pulling 1.6x 60's on the stock 10 bolt puts a smile on my face everytime
Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

My '99 Z28 M6 was my daily for 2.5 years and I still greatly prefer an M6 for general driving. However, now I drive my Silverado HD to work and that auto trans sure is nice in the rush hour traffic. Some days in the M6 I would get pissed at having to work the clutch constantly as traffic creeps along 360 and HWY 183.

For the drag strip, I love a stalled auto.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

One point that I didn't see yet was that the auto and 6-speed cost the same amount for the Z28. The auto was standard and the 6-speed was a no-cost option (or maybe it was the other way around?) When I bought my car (which is M6) I was just leaning towards manual, but would have bought an auto if the deal was right. However, now living in a city, I would rather have an auto. I had to go to UPS yesterday after work, and for 9 miles round trip, it took me an hour and a half, with 5 minutes of that spent inside waiting for my package.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
Dude, I just sold my M6 and bought an A4 project. M6's are better 2% of the time. 98% of the time they sux. I have spilled more coffie trying to shift in my old SS than all the spills in every car I have ever had. Plus the drill mod doesn't work well and you need to buy a mccloud adjustable and newer slave. Its adds up quick. Oh, I had a buddy who was burning through spec 3 clutches and went to an A4. I laughed. Now I understand what he was talking about. I toasted my first clutch in no time trying to launch hard at the track with ET streets. A4's all the way for over all use. M6 for track and roll racing. But miss a gear and ooppss, there goes the race.
That's what happenes when you buy spec clutches
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

At times I wish I had the m6, but its nice on a long trip to put it in gear and forget about it.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

I would love to have a M6 for a fun ride to goof around in and just feel the excitment as I am in complete control of the car. But the auto is more practical for the kind of driving I do and it helps to know I dont have to worry about shifting while in traffic jams or the multiple stops I end up doing
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 6 spd is nice because you are in control of what the car does, it doesn't have to constantly shift around when it might go under load or slight acceleration, you make the decision. Through traffic I will admit it can get a little old rowing through the gears and starting over 30 sec later when you could just pull your foot off the brake and roll forward, but when you want to just have it stay in a gear to hear that sweet exhaust note as you roll down the road or throw out a quick rev without having to wait for the RPM's to drop back down before you re-engage the tranny, it is worth it.

Past week I have been driving my GTP and love the fact it is a auto, and only have to use one foot on the way home, but as I get closer to home, the more I wish I could downshift myself to pass someone instead of hoping it will drop down to where I want or hold the gear when climbing a hill instead of it going to 4th and than back to 2nd when someone gets out of my way.

In the end, it all just comes down to preference!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Launching!

i love my m6 and i wouldnt have it any other way.