General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1 mileage limit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 mileage limit

In my search to purchase a ls1 donor motor/trans combo, I have come across a number of motors with more than "a few" miles on them. I would like to increase the hp output of the motor before swapping it into my firebird, but I have been wondering: How many miles on the motor are too many to hotrod? I understand that, generally speaking, a motor that was well maintained will last longer than one that has been poorly maintained. And I understand, generally speaking, the lower the mileage the better. So I guess I'm looking for any specific "faults" in the ls1 after a certain mileage marker, if such a thing even exists. I will most likely go with the old cam-heads-intake upgrade to build more power.

Any advice?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

i bought my 2000 Z28 with 150,000 miles on it and put a few thousand of my own on it in the past few months. it was very well maintained by the one previous owner and keeps me pinned to my seat nicely for a stock/original motor. i think that as long as its still in good shape, and the work you do to it is done properly, it should last a long time yet
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dummyhead
In my search to purchase a ls1 donor motor/trans combo, I have come across a number of motors with more than "a few" miles on them. I would like to increase the hp output of the motor before swapping it into my firebird, but I have been wondering: How many miles on the motor are too many to hotrod? I understand that, generally speaking, a motor that was well maintained will last longer than one that has been poorly maintained. And I understand, generally speaking, the lower the mileage the better. So I guess I'm looking for any specific "faults" in the ls1 after a certain mileage marker, if such a thing even exists. I will most likely go with the old cam-heads-intake upgrade to build more power.

Any advice?
LS1's are an engineering marvle. There is no certain milage that these engines are going to break if they are taken care of. There are some people on here that really have a ton of miles. If you are going to do a swap into your car, the engine is going to be pulled anyways, just put the basics in it and do a restore. The block will last forever like you kinda said. Specific faults, man thats a hard question depending on that specific engine how hard it was run, cause you really dont hear anything really going wrong with the LS1 to be quite honestly with you unless it was beat on. The only thing I can think of would be oil pans, pumps, maybe if there has been alot of knocking the lifters might need to go. But other than that maybe check out the LS1 - LS6 internal engine threads. You might be able to do some digging in there. Good luck. Hope I helped a little bit.

PS what are you going to do with the car. Drag, street, DD, all out bitch (drag/street)? maybe that will help out a little more of what you might want to look for.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

92,000 on mine and nothing wrong yet. knock on wood
Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
i bought my 2000 Z28 with 150,000 miles on it and put a few thousand of my own on it in the past few months. it was very well maintained by the one previous owner and keeps me pinned to my seat nicely for a stock/original motor. i think that as long as its still in good shape, and the work you do to it is done properly, it should last a long time yet

Would you be comfortable doing a cam/heads/intake swap to bump up the power and take it racing occassionally with 150,000?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6

PS what are you going to do with the car. Drag, street, DD, all out bitch (drag/street)? maybe that will help out a little more of what you might want to look for.
I looking to go all drag/street. I'm looking at a cam/heads/intake swap to boost the power output.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
Have you modded it at all or is it bone stock? If its stock, I'll ask the question I asked Goatboy, would you do a cam/heads/intake swap and race it somewhat frequently?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

its got most bolt ons done to it, but i still would do cam,heads, intake swap.. but well im in there i would probably just go ahead and get a rebuild or at least the things most prone to break
Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looking to go all drag/street. I'm looking at a cam/heads/intake swap to boost the power output.
So its going to get worked pretty hard. I would do that plus make sure that you strengthen the rest of the engine.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Teching In

its got most bolt ons done to it, but i still would do cam,heads, intake swap.. but well im in there i would probably just go ahead and get a rebuild or at least the things most prone to break

What would you consider most prone to breakage?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
So its going to get worked pretty hard. I would do that plus make sure that you strengthen the rest of the engine.

So, would you recommend starting with a motor with known problems, like a spun bearing for example, and just doing a complete rebuild? Or can I start with a motor with 60k-70k, for example, and make the upgrades I mentioned and feel pretty comfortable that it will stay together?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

well actually i forgot what they were, bearings,rods,pistons basicly... maybe somone will chime in here for me and say what it is
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

It will blow up at exactly 160,364.7 miles, so be careful
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

93,000 + miles on the 99 Trans Am. It's had heads and cam since 32,000 miles.

As long as the engine is in good condition, you use quality parts, and quality installation, I wouldn't worry too much and would mod the car.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

98-99 oil pumps are a little weak and the ported oil pump is a nice upgrade. The lifters are just ok, if in there for a cam cheap to replace. (75k if you make me pick a number) The timing chain at some point, again a basic changed part with a cam.

I would check the plugs and fuel filter to see if orginal with high miles. Not the end if orginal but a basic easy check of maintance. Other couple checks: Radiator fluid, diff and trans., ecm codes too

If I were putting C/H...... in a 100K LS1 the fuel injectors would be checked and cleaned too.

IF you turn you own wrenchs changing all fluids and misc maintance stuff. $500 good to go. Also there are good deals on ls1's with bad brakes or shocks if you fix them yourself - cheap.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would you be comfortable doing a cam/heads/intake swap to bump up the power and take it racing occassionally with 150,000?
my plan, the purpose for buying this car was to take it road racing. novice of course. but a friend who is heavy into serious road racing looked at the car and said 150,000 miles is nothing on the engine. with what im planning, i dont need excessive power. its got a great clutch and great breaks, i'll do some shocks and springs and maybe a lid/cat back and call it a day. dont need monster horsepower for what i want to do. however, if i was going to be doing a h/c swap, that would mean i would be looking for scary power and while i had the engine apart i'd go ahead and either stroke it or rebuild it with stronger stuff, regardless of milage.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFan88
It will blow up at exactly 160,364.7 miles, so be careful
Haha
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

wow, so wtf... after i write this earlier today my water pump goes out only hours after that... im never talking again
Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i was going to say mine but nvm after that post
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

lol, yeah save your car man. its a curse to say what problems you havnt had so im going to say it this way, wow my cars such a peice of **** everything breaks grrrr i hate it..(maybe now nothing will happen)

Quick Reply: ls1 mileage limit