General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why Do We Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do I do it? Cause my car is an extention of ME. I don't feel whole when it's down and not running, or the weather is too shitty to drive it. The car is part of my soul and will always be so. If it dies, part of me dies.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I do it because ever since I was little and my grandmother owned 2 3rd gen trans am's I had a love affair with f-bodies. There is nothing on earth like it. When you ride in one or drive one for the first time its a feeling you can't explain. Owning a 96 WS6 drove my passion further and my 02 just excelled it. There is no way in hell I would own one of these cars and not maintain it cause it commands that much respect. The design and power make it one in a million!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Awsome post.

There is a much easier way to get to the fog lights, but I may be one of the few who can do it as how small my arm is. You can reach from above to pull the bulb and its pretty easy to get in. I changed mine in five minutes in the parking lot at Advance.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Awsome post.

There is a much easier way to get to the fog lights, but I may be one of the few who can do it as how small my arm is. You can reach from above to pull the bulb and its pretty easy to get in. I changed mine in five minutes in the parking lot at Advance.
x2

I'm 6'2 and weigh close to 300 lbs so my arm is not small and I can reach down there(however tight) and pull my fog light bulb out in 15 seconds. I did notice putting the first one on it's easier to put the bulb on the plug before you screw it into the housing.

If you weren't sure it was a pull out or screw in type bulb you should have looked at your replacement bulb and saw the tabs on it. That would have given it away.

As for spark plugs... Well that just takes practice I guess. It takes me about 45 minutes to change all 8 plugs. And I'm never in a rush. When I had stock manifolds and the first time I changed plugs it was one of the worst experiences ever. Had to have one of my tiny friends change the back left plugs from the bottom cuz I couldn't reach at all. Now I change the plugs from the top and it's not too bad once you have experience and know what to move out of the way.

As for a fuel pump to whoever posted that. You do not have to remove the rear end you have to get the panhard bar out of the way and the exhaust. 2 straps, some heat shields I believe, a few fuel lines, wiring harness and the gas cap and it's ready to come out. It isn't that bad of a deal either. It's not what I would call fun. But not seriously hard. And most cars don't have an access hole to the fuel tank so it has to be dropped down to replace the pump anyways.

And as for why we work on our cars. Because that's what we love. I've had plenty of days where ish just doesn't go right. And trust me on that one. But when all is said and done I"m always happy with that feeling of accomplishment. And I wouldn't trade my TA for any ford or honda.... OK maybe a ford GT. Sorry guys. But it's worth 10 f-bodys
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
.... OK maybe a ford GT. Sorry guys. But it's worth 10 f-bodys
Yeah but what about a c6 z06? Have you seen the gtx or whatever it is? It was on top gear, like 150 more hp or something...let me find it...

oh ya gtx1...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Yeah but what about a c6 z06? Have you seen the gtx or whatever it is? It was on top gear, like 150 more hp or something...let me find it...

oh ya gtx1...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=5
Well I didn't say what I would do with that ford GT once I got it. I just said I'd trade my TA for one. Then I'd sell it buy a new z06 and a camaro and a small turbo kit for that camaro

Ok I'd probably keep that GTX
Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Well I didn't say what I would do with that ford GT once I got it. I just said I'd trade my TA for one. Then I'd sell it buy a new z06 and a camaro and a small turbo kit for that camaro

Ok I'd probably keep that GTX
Interesting you'd buy a camaro when you have a t/a. I'm assuming you mean you kept the t/a all along so you'd have both, or next time around you'd buy a camaro instead? No big deal I love both cars, just wondering your opinion.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Sometimes I ask myself this. It's a blast to drive which makes up for the bad times. It's also cool when you see people turn just to watch your car go by. Makes you feel like a stud
Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been working on cars for as long as I can remember, and I was also a mechanic for awhile. I actually think F-bodies are one of the easiest late model cars Ive ever worked on.

I do all my own work on my car because I enjoy it, and it comes easy to me. Also I dont like the thought of anybody touching my car. No one will take care of your car the way you do.

I've been elbow deep in every section of my car and its all pretty straight forward. Yeah, maybe some stuff is a little hidden, but you should try working on FWD GM vehicles. I've worked on some cars where you have to unbolt the engine and lift it up some just to change the spark plugs.

HOWEVER, there have been some times when I get frustrated, buts its all part of working on any late model vehicle
Old 12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Interesting you'd buy a camaro when you have a t/a. I'm assuming you mean you kept the t/a all along so you'd have both, or next time around you'd buy a camaro instead? No big deal I love both cars, just wondering your opinion.
I guess I have no real opinion on the matter. To me both cars are the same. So they look a little different in and out. I would say a nice WS6 looks better than a nice SS. But a big front mount looks better. I'm talking about a camaro for a drag car. Which I think I may be in the market for soon. I've had 3 camaros, this is my first trans am. I've been a camaro fan since I was a little kid. Never liked firebirds as much as camaros until 1998+ and even then it had to be a ws6 TA. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of birds of all years that I think are gorgeous but I'm more a chevy guy I guess.

If I went back I'd still buy the trans am. And if you are talking about trading my trans am for a camaro. Well it would have to be a bad *** camaro.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

i drive mine to make up for my insecurities.... no no... jk but thats what some **** i worked with told me, she said that **** to me and i almost kicked her in the face..

but i drive my car and maintain it because i think my car resembles me and is me in a sense. working on it can be tricky. but just furthers my knowledge of cars. frustration is a common thing found while working on these cars.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Why? Beacuse hearing the blower scream makes my day, and wondering if the person behind me can still hear is a nice thought too. Although just having an insanely fun car is the main reason I spend all this money on her. Gotta love the Cobras
Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Launching!

I will say now that I am a little older with a 2000 Saturn as a DD and garage with a concrete floor and air tools that life with a F body isnt all that bad but I too can remember those days on my back laying in gravel under my old camaro wondering which part of my extremities was going to freeze and fall off first.Ah...those were the days...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

When I see an Accord motor, I want to change the plugs simply because they're RIGHT THERE. When I see mine, I dread the day I have to perform my first plug swap.
LMFAO! I've actually changed the plugs on my beater just because they were easy!

I have changed the plugs in my Z28, and that's what made me decide to pay a dyno equiped tuner shop to change the damn alternator!

I love my car because my beater can't do a half-track burnout!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
but i drive my car and maintain it because i think my car resembles me and is me in a sense. .
Show me your flip-up headlights!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

I'm half-tempted to open up a credit line at Autozone for DRL bulbs.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by troopercar
Show me your flip-up headlights!
called my middle fingers lol