General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Advice for coworker

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for coworker

Hey everyone, I started out here in 2004 with my truck in sig, but spend most of time over on PT.net since the trucks separated from here. I have a coworker of mine who just traded in his 99~ Camaro for a 2002 TA with the ram air hood (WS6) This car is mint and is his daily driver and I often hear him throwing around ideas about what he should do to his car for performance. I know he doesnt want to go too deep into the motor with a small budget and talked about at most doing a mild heads and cam package, or possibly just throwing a blower on it and calling it a day to keep it reliable. He also thought about getting a hand held programer and I advised against that. I have told him about this site over a month ago but he still has not been over here and feel free to also discuss your thoughts and feelings about a hand held and the benifits of a custom tune. Lets say if you had roughly 1500.00, what would you do to add the most power but yet keep it reliable (no nitrous). We are both out of Orlando. After this thread starts to die down, I will print it up and give it to him to read.
-Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Headers and a cat back exhaust and a lid is always my first round of mods. Then I go to suspension. This way all the mods are just simple bolt ons and the car will handle and sound great.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
11 Second Club

Definitely a lid, headers and cat back. Get the engine breathing better before you go to the internals.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Same as above but get a good tune.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frisco88
I have a pretty good idea of what he should do and know the answers to most of the questions I ask, keep in mind I am trying to remain biased so when I print this out he will see I have not influenced anyone here. What about a hand held tuner - why would that be any better or worse than a custom tune? Any good tuners around here, and how much does it cost?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni's, Lid, and cat back. After having the koni's there's no way I'd ever drive another f-bod with the stock shocks. At least swap just the rear Koni's. I drove mine for a week with just the rears swapped out and the difference in just the rears was like driving a car that cost 10G more. You don't know... until you know.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by frisco88
Why? He doesn't need a whole tune with those mods, just the emissions codes deleted. I'd wait to do a full tune until he has a cam or stall converter.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Why? He doesn't need a whole tune with those mods, just the emissions codes deleted. I'd wait to do a full tune until he has a cam or stall converter.
Agree. Exhaust mods really don't need a tune if you get the O2 dummy sensors. You should wait till everything you want is put on then get a tune unless you want to spend 300-400 dollars every time you do a mod to your engine.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LT's/TD's/Lid/

Converter(if its an A4)/tranny cooler/shift kit/Tune
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was mostly a drag car or a weekend car I'd probably choose headers over koni's but since it's a daily driver the headers are going to get old real fast. He'll get a lot more pleasure for his money getting the koni's and avoiding headers. If he just wants it to be as fast as possible to the grocery store then by all means headers is the way to go but if he wants a car that doesn't wear him out while he's running errands in traffic for 3 hours get the Koni's.

Performance isn't the weak area of these cars and the suspension is.