General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First real impressions of my car..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default First real impressions of my car..

I finally got to take my 01 Z28 for a spin today. I had trailered the car home from PA this past Saturday and it sat in the garage due to weather and a freak eye injury. Today the clouds parted and I lost my cyclopean stare. After taking her for a spirited drive here are my observations:

Leaving the traction control on while trying to scream out of first gear sucks. I was like "What the hell happened to my car?" Yeah, I'll never do that again.

The stock muffler is choking this car like a brazilian Jiu Jitsu master. Thankfully the catback goes on this week.

A factory Hurst shifter is a good Daily driver piece, not the most precise when in a hurry though.

This car is 1000x better all around than the Foxbody 'Stang it replaced.

My car is running rich, I bet a good tune would pick up quite a few ponies.

And lastly, the torque management feature is really holding this car back from being a total screamer. I was surprised at how linear the power was when I expected it to turn on like a lightswitch. Not at all how my 5.0 was. (The Stang was well tuned and really responsive)

With all that said, with 35k miles and a solid foundation, I've found a great platform for building one powerful driver. I'm hoping that a computer tune will give me the crispness that I want and bring the torque to bear on the unsuspecting tires and weak 10 bolt. The heads are on the way, cam is in the garage, and I should have Longtubes by the end of the month. I can't wait to see where this goes!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Man you are gonna love it once you awake the beast. Keep us posted on the progress
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the pick up!

You said the car has a hurst shifter so I am assuming its a M6. Then you said TM was killing the car, only the A4s have TM. What H/C are you going with?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing about the TM????
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Traction control, etc...

Yeah my car is a six speed and most assuredly has traction control. I have optional ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation) with a button on the center of the dash. The button stays lit until I push it then the dash show ASR OFF. I was told that this was rare, but it proves that manual tranny cars did get this as an option.
I can take pics tomorrow and post if anybody wants. I bought the car off of off a forum member and have not messed with it yet.
Check my posts from when I was negotiating the car, the ASR button may be in the seller's pictures.

I bought a pair of Livernois stage II LS6 heads. I figure that they fit the budget and the plan for a good torquey driver. I may have them milled down to a 60cc combustion chamber. I got a good deal on them, $925 so I can afford a little more work.

The cam is a Comp Xtreme 275 Hi Lift. Not the most radical, but again it fit the budget and plans for driveability.

I have an NX wet kit new in box. I just need the GenX accesory kit to be track safe and have the necessary purge and heater. This is what will make my car a tractable daily driver with the heart of a lion.

I have to figure out what clutch I want and what longtubes to get. I'm leaning toward a McLeod as I like my friend's setup. Also QTP stainless LT's seem to be what I'm liking so far. Hopefully a forum member lets loose with his Simons wheels. I'm waiting for him to pull them and let me know.

That's about it for now. Yes, I'm going to build the chassis. A Strange 9 inch is in the cards for the end of summer. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by JosephIV; 04-09-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Sleepy spelling edit..
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASR isn't really all that uncommon, mine has it as well, and it's an M6

most people on here just know it as ASR instead of torque management.....which is not all that surprising, since "torque management" is what the function is called in generic terms, and "ASR" is just GM's name for it.....but it's all the same thing.

let us know how it all goes once you get all your parts installed & the computer tuned
Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

alot of m6 cars have traction control (asr). only a4's have torque management.

of course we want to see pics
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default thanks...

I knew that my Silverado has torque management, but wasn't sure if the Z had anything that pulled timing besides the ASR. I guess that it needs a tune as it runs great, but could be more crisp. Dialing in the A/F ratio will definitely help power.
I can post pics tomorrow. It seems kinda hokey to do that since it looks the same as it did when I bought it off of a forum member. I'm waiting for the Simmons wheels, then it will look like my car. Does that sound weird?

At any rate, you guys are great and I appreciate the help. A member offered his phone number and help as he lives within driving distance and has a 9 second ride. I love this site and am glad that good people frequent it. It's bedtime, so let me know if I should take pics tomorrow or wait for the wheels.

Joe
Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Pics and what kind of exhaust do you have?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an SLP dual/dual setup that I bought off of a former Navy pal for $75. It will be quiet enough to cruise with my wife in the car and flow well enough to keep me happy. Besides, for 75 bucks I can't go wrong. The car will be getting electric cutouts anyway.
I have to have a shop install it since the exhaust was cut once at the main section and needs to be re-welded. I'm stopping by the shop today to drop off the exhaust and then that and the inspection will get done tomorrow. After that it's no more temp tags!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TM is only for autos.

it's GM's answer to underbuilt weak automatics.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the ASR is just traction control and quite a few M6 Fbodies have them. My Z28 does, my brother's doesn't.

Can't wait to see how your car does with those mods. Sounds like you're not wasting any time.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

m6 with ASR here....i like it for rainy days...which are common in florida. i realize if you're paying attention you can do the same thing...but its nice to have as a backup. i call it my "anti-get-in-trouble button"

SLP sells a module that reverses the ASR system....stays OFF untill you turn it ON.

if the shifter is factory stock...its not a hurst. only some of the SS/ws6 cars came with the factory upgraded hurst.

if it IS a hurst...and the factory version of it...i bet it still has the stock stick...which SUCKS!! spend the $25 on ebay and get a short stick. makes the shifter a totally different animal.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^not true, the hurst option was available for any m6, it was a $600 option. my 02 ss had it, my 99 ss didn't and my '00 z28 did, as did my 00 TA. my new 02 ss does not have it (but will soon have a pro 5.0) while my brother got his 02 z28 with it. like i said, it was an option available for any m6.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Yea My 01 z/28 has the hurst option and its on my window sticker so I would say it was an option. Good luck with the car man. Sounds like your going to take it down the right path.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I scheduled the car's inspection and getting the exhaust welded up. I wanted to get it done for the weekend, but have to wait til Monday.
Thanks to everyone who has good advice or can correct me when I'm wrong. It's really fun learning about these cars.
I will be getting the heads milled down to 61cc. I called Livernois today and this was their recommendation. Since I'm buying the heads from a forum member, McKeown motorsports here in Waldorf will be doing the work. I learned that the head surface has to be mirror perfect in order to get a good seat with the MLS gaskets. Huh, you learn something new every day!

Gotta thank you all again, can't wait to get the plan set in motion!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Damn I can't wait to here this beast.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
most people on here just know it as ASR instead of torque management.....which is not all that surprising, since "torque management" is what the function is called in generic terms, and "ASR" is just GM's name for it.....but it's all the same thing.
You're confusing traction control with torque management. ASR is GM's generic name for traction control in Camaro's. In Firebirds, it's actually called traction control (TCS).

There is NO torque management in a manual transmission car.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

There is NO torque management in a manual transmission car.
except for your right foot, of-course.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nssane
^not true, the hurst option was available for any m6, it was a $600 option. my 02 ss had it, my 99 ss didn't and my '00 z28 did, as did my 00 TA. my new 02 ss does not have it (but will soon have a pro 5.0) while my brother got his 02 z28 with it. like i said, it was an option available for any m6.
True it was an option on any M6, but I thought it was a $250 option? Who would pay $600 for a short throw shifter? I bought mine seperately from SLP for less than $250.