General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need new bottom end,need advice bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need new bottom end,need advice bad

So I built up my LS1 (heads/cam/timn chn/oil pump ect)and something let go in the bottom end when I was at WOT on the freeway.
The car is at the Chevy dealership and I am tring to decide the best way to go.
Money really isnt a problem, I just want to do the right thing for me the first time. I was thinking a GMPP 383 forged bottom end since I may want to do a SC later,no plans at all for turbo. I know it may be a bit more but I was thinkin of just letting the dealership do it since CMS is so far away.
My question is for those who have first hand knowledge of a bottom end replacement, what did you do when it was time to replace, what should you have done different, whats the best parts for the job ( daily driver with red light *** kickin power)?.
I am searching threads and getting info. Any advice would be great.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got by shortblock built by EPP>>>>>>>

Diamond pistons (9.5 compression is what you want if you want to add a supercharger)
Compstar rods
ARP main & head studs
High flow oil pump
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If money is not a problem, for heavens sake, don;'t have a dealership do it.

Where do you live?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok CMS can't be that far from you... I am taking my car to them and I live in San Jose... I am about 6 hour's away so if I can do it you can do it LOL... Also like said before you should have CMS do it and the dealer... You will get a better price and Ryne can get you what you need and point you in the right direction for your need's.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Turns out the motor is shot,even the heads have damage! So Im looking at just ordering a LS6 long block and be done with it. Its at the dealership so hes looking stuff up so I am going to make some calls and see whts up with CMS or some other shop with a good rep. All I know is I dont want to have to worry about blowing **** again, Im not a track racer or anything... within reason.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sic2001
Turns out the motor is shot,even the heads have damage! So Im looking at just ordering a LS6 long block and be done with it. Its at the dealership so hes looking stuff up so I am going to make some calls and see whts up with CMS or some other shop with a good rep. All I know is I dont want to have to worry about blowing **** again, Im not a track racer or anything... within reason.
How much is the LS6 long block? Going to be $$$ if you're getting it from GM. It does not seem to be a great deal when you can get built stroker motors for not that much money
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Plenty of built motors to be had for what a stock crate LS6 or otherwise go for. 402ci LS2 dumdumdum.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

My problem is its my daily driver so I need it back soon and the shops I called today are all booked up and it would be having to build it,ship it,tow the car and wait. Im going down in the morning to give the dealwrship the 6700.00 for the LS6 long block and hell have my car back within 2 weeks and comes with a 2 yr warranty. The 2000.00 labor is alot but not all that bad. I can put a new cam in before the motor goes in too. I have a 200 mph gauge cluster comming thats reset to 0 from Granatelli and that was a pricey little cha cha too, so Im just gonna plow ahead and just enjoy.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OMG don't do that...if money isn't a problem, go get a reliable beater and do the car right!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

seems hes mind is set on getting bent over at the dealership...wow.

go buy a damn $1,000 DD and take the car to a GOOD performance shop in your area...you can get a far better deal on a longblock than that...and make more power. your just getting another stock shortblock for it to happen again...go buy a forged long block from one of those guys >>>>>

Chad
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

So he ordered the LS6 drop in motor since the long block is discontinued or something,same price.I know I know, I'd be trippin too if I read this but I get my motor back and I can just build it up at my own schedule and in the mean time I dont have to drive a beater. I called CMS and another shop here in Orange County CA and they are booked solid. To have a whole motor built up was gonna be 10k, **** for just my heads/cam job at House of Power was 5500.00. He did a great job but it was a waste of money now cause something didnt hold up, wont know what till I break the motor down. I'll just rework the ls6 heads and block and when its done Ill have it dropped in.
I asked for advice but I did not mean to make anyone mad about my decision,but Im married and its getting harder and harder to justify all the cash I spend on a car that blue books at 12k (her view).
Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Could of bought an LS3 for 6,500

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/shopp...ooglebase&
Old 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I am not stupid, even though it looks like it from my choice but I did call shops to get them to build me a bitchen motor but they seemed to not take me serious,like I dont have the cash in my pocket to get it done. They could not give me a price or a time frame for the work to be done... but the dealership did. Had I felt confident in the job getting done in a reasonable time and a quality motor with bullet-proof reliability put in from any of them my car would have been towed there that day and handled.
My understanding is the LS3 requires a different computer or some kind of adaptation kit. It wasnt but a few hundred dollars but add that and all the other little things (like tax) and it just seemed easier.
My twin brother has a 99 TA so he wants this LS6 for 5k when Im done getting the other motor built. Its a sideways drama but the end is the same. Thanks for the info guys, that LS3 would be sweet but alas...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... Whats done is done! ... FYI. You could have paid significantly less had you searched around a bit first. 6,500 + Labor for a stock parts bottom end isn't how I'd spend my cash. 2 year warranty or not. ....Plus you mentioned the possibility of a super charger in some near future. Not the ideal setup for that kind of power adder.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

btw, ...What exactly did the dealership say was wrong? ... I never trust the dealerships. I have a short story why to. Bare with me for a sec.

... I keep everything! I still have a spun barring from a blown motor that I keep as a souvenir. ... I'd ask the dealership for proof of what they're claiming is wrong. Just my .02
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

they cranked the motor and 6 cyls were out w/ obvious damage noise. I knew it when I heard it too. He's only guessing whats wrong but the mechanic I talked to seemed to know his stuff. They werent going to do a bunch of work on the car since it has long tubes that are illegal here in Cali and a roll cage, but since its a whole engine install and Ive gone to them alot in the past when the car had a warranty (as well as my twin brother and his 99 TA) they are willing to look the other way and warranty it w/the headers left on.