General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ok, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation ok, help

So after i get everything ready to do the throttle body bypass mod, i start with removing the lid and the whole intake baffle (Slp lid on the way), removed the boot to the throttle body and set aside everything for the intake aside on the bed of my brothers truck. Then put a towel underneath the TB area so no left over coolant would spill out which it did but i managed to get alot of it caught with the towel. now i know some got on the belt and the pulley thing right bellow the TB (i know noob doesn't know what it is) And after i realized i was missing a part of the tb bypass kit i had to put everything back on and waited for about 5 mins then started the car. When i first started it it had a high idle (Around 1400 rpm) which mine at cold start is usually around 1k-1100 and so i shut it off, check the intake and everything else. Started it again and it was running fine until i noticed the pulley thing bellow the TB was squeaking a lot and wouldn't stop. So i let the car warm up and seemed like everything was normal but that sound, so i took it around the block and let it warm up and now there is a slight loss of power and acceleration, kinda like the car should be moving at said rpm and gear but slowly making its way there. so after i got home, i popped the hood after i shut it off and kinda heard a slight hiss sound around the passenger side exhaust manifolds, kinda like when hot metal is cooling down from a lot of heat, kinda like a ticking sound. Im lost guys whats going on with it. i thought it might be a vacuum leak, being as my stock lid has a minor seal leak from the lid boot to the baffle. Anyone? i need help asap.

Here i circled the thing i dont know the name of. but some coolant got on it and probebly behind it

Last edited by Zerokube; 03-29-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zerokube
So after i get everything ready to do the throttle body bypass mod, i start with removing the lid and the whole intake baffle (Slp lid on the way), removed the boot to the throttle body and set aside everything for the intake aside on the bed of my brothers truck. Then put a towel underneath the TB area so no left over coolant would spill out which it did but i managed to get alot of it caught with the towel. now i know some got on the belt and the pulley thing right bellow the TB (i know noob doesn't know what it is) And after i realized i was missing a part of the tb bypass kit i had to put everything back on and waited for about 5 mins then started the car. When i first started it it had a high idle (Around 1400 rpm) which mine at cold start is usually around 1k-1100 and so i shut it off, check the intake and everything else. Started it again and it was running fine until i noticed the pulley thing bellow the TB was squeaking a lot and wouldn't stop. So i let the car warm up and seemed like everything was normal but that sound, so i took it around the block and let it warm up and now there is a slight loss of power and acceleration, kinda like the car should be moving at said rpm and gear but slowly making its way there. so after i got home, i popped the hood after i shut it off and kinda heard a slight hiss sound around the passenger side exhaust manifolds, kinda like when hot metal is cooling down from a lot of heat, kinda like a ticking sound. Im lost guys whats going on with it. i thought it might be a vacuum leak, being as my stock lid has a minor seal leak from the lid boot to the baffle. Anyone? i need help asap.

Here i circled the thing i dont know the name of. but some coolant got on it and probebly behind it

From my experience, the increase in idleing rpms would indicate a vaccum leak. As would the sluggish loss of power I assume. I would start it up and see if you can find a leak around that boot. You've still got the clamp that goes around that boot to secures it to the baffel part of the lid I assume.. so maybe apply a small ammount of RTV to where it isn't sealing well and see if that cures it. =]

As far as the belt squeaking.. I don't really know that much about the squeaking noise other than it is quite annoying and whenever that comes up on my ride.. I just check the pullies to make sure any of them isn't loose.. and if not.. I would just replace the belt but that is my solution and i'm sure somone will chime in on this and be much more help than I am.

Also, make sure you don't use that belt dressing stuff because it is absolute junk. All it does is stops a squeak for about 30-60 seconds and slings that crap everywhere and then your problems back.. but thats just my experience with it.

As for the hissing sound, I don't really know what the answer would be to that as i'm sure somone else will know the answer to that one. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Also, since i'm at work.. and pretty much everything I like to look at on the net is blocked except for this.. (thank god) I can't the picture unfortunately.. so i'm guessing it is the top pully (cant think of the name of it myself)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took it to my friend at a dealership and he check my codes. only throwing the throttle body position sensor code, saying its not getting a signal. could it be from when i plug it back in?

also that noise is actually from the air pump which is going to be removed. and also might have clogged cat on the passenger side, which im going to remove soon also.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why was coolant leaking out when you removed the TB? Am I reading something wrong or having a brain fart?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

read the tb bypass mod on installuniversity.com
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay. I guess I had a brain fart. I remember doing that now when I did my LS6 IM.

But I agree. Replace the belt(s) & clean pulley(s)for the squeaking. For the hissing, maybe excess coolant landed on your manifolds and just burned off.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hissing always happens though. Could it be a clogged cat?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hissing always happens though. Could it be a clogged cat?
Hard to believe that just by doing this mod, all of a sudden your cats are clogged...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check all the rubber you took off - the bellows between the airbox & the TB - and make sure none of them were ripped or pin-holed during the process.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, check the EGR & AIR fittings for tightness.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest checking the connectors for the sensors you unplugged...you may have gotten coolant in them that needs to be blown out with compressed air.

If not, then you may have a bad TP sensor. SES light should come on eventually if that's the case.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check everything and seems ok, no leaks of any kind. Tp sensor code is still on, saying cant read signal or something.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And you did mess with the TB by grinding the stop, right? I'm by no means a tuner, but maybe you need a tune for it.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i didnt touch the tb stop thingy. just the coolant lines underneath it. does anyone have a picture of the Tp sensor?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i didnt touch the tb stop thingy. just the coolant lines underneath it. does anyone have a picture of the Tp sensor?
Should be 2 wires - black & grey.
Attached Thumbnails ok, help-tps.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm only unplugged that from the tb and set all 4 plugs aside on a towel.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oops, sorry, it should be 3 wires: black, blue, grey. The grey & black wires should have 5v on them at all times. If you can, with the car running, plug in the sensor and between the blue & black wire (if you can get on them with a meter), you should see a voltage increase to about 4.5-5v until you reach WOT.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just found this in another post. It may help:

maybe try loosing the 2 blade screws, just enough to kinda center the blade a bit and retighten..

the TPS sensor only goes on one way, and moving that requires oblong-ing the 2 screw holes for it,, and is only needed if the bump stop mod was done to far, causing the error code to pop up, it can be done, but shouldnt have to be.