General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thumbs down Bad gas

Long story short, my tank was running low (a bit below 1/4) so I dropped into the gas station and filled up. About a mile or two down the road, the car starts shaking horribly, with totally no power, and the SES light is flashing. Horrible smell from the tail pipe as well, enough that the car following me backed off a couple car lengths. Checked the computer and it says random/multiple misfire.

I believe I ended up with a tank of bad gas I tried a bottle of dry gas in case the gas had water in it but didn't do any good. I think my only option is to drain the tank and put fresh gas in. How best to do this? Disconnect the line from the fuel filter to a container and pump the gas out until there is about 1/8 tank left (to avoid burning out the pump)? How to dispose of the bad gas? Of course I'd replace the fuel filter while I'm at it.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might be bad gas, could also be because you ran it low the pump picked up a bunch crap from the bottom of the tank, maybe try just changing the filter first?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be but I've had the tank near E before (yeah I know not good) and never picked up any crap.

I'm going to be checking it more tomorrow.