General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Studdering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Studdering Issue

For about the last month now my car has been randomly doing a slight studder when accelerating but it was few and far between. Meaning it didn't do it very often. Well this morning I was coming around a turn made my stop then proceeded to accelerate well as i was accelerating it started to studder and then just died. I came to a stop and the car fired right back up no problems at all. It had this weird smell in the car after it died almost a musty smell which would probably be because it died out while i was moving and it is a stick so it took a second before I could get the clutch pushed in. Ever since it has been driving fine. Car has 230K miles on it and runs perfect never had any issues like this one before. My first thought was the fuel pump is probably going out because I was down to maybe 2 gallons of gas left when it did it this morning. Now its a full tank and no issues. Anyone got any thoughts on it. I know I have never replaced the pump and at 230K I know its gotta go eventually. I also suspect the pump because when the car hits high RPM's i get the rattle in a can symptom everytime which leads me to think it may not be holding the pressure needed at high rpms. Any thoughts or idea's would help.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The "rattle in a can" you get....is that coming from the engine compartment at WOT?

That sounds like possible detonation. And an old engine like that probably has a ton of build up on the pistons.

Don't be so sure its the fuel pump, those things can last forever. And if it works, it works. And 2 gallons of gas is nowhere near an amount where going around a corner will suck air. Your pump sits inside of a bucket that always has gas in it.

Get a pressure check done? Could be a dirty fuel filter or injectors.

Does the rattlei n a can sound only happen after the engine is hot? Or does it happen after just 5-10 minutes of driving if you go WOT?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens basically anytime it gets above 5K rpms. Also I had the motor apart a year ago and the piston's where in perfect shape very very little buildup on it at all. Also doesn't matter if it's new plugs, wires, or anything it still does it. I may need to do another full seafoam cleaning again but the last 3 times i've done it the car didn't even smoke after it was done. I couldn't see anything else causing that studdering on acceleration though. There is no weird noises or anything and car fires off everytime without fail perfectly. Dyno'd it last week and it put down 354 hp 367 tq so for 230K miles on it I would say it runs pretty damned good.