General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 z28 gas needle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 z28 gas needle

So the gauge was never very accurate and sometimes would drop to empty randomly (which I think most of them do), but recently it doesn't work at all. It would show me how much gas I had when I filled it up and then drop back down below the E, but now it just stays where it is. Does anyone know what the cause and fix for this is?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine (2000...same cluster) does the same thing...it occassionally throws a code for "fuel level sender voltage high"...P0463 if I remember correctly...which is NOT a code that will turn on the check engine light...it does turn on the stupid "check gauges" light though, which is annoying as hell.

I've checked all the wiring to the tank except for directly above the tank where I can't really check until I drop the tank...which I don't want to do...but my money is on the sending unit in my own car. It's been doing it since like...last september now...I've found if I stuff the clutch pedal in and rev the engine up quick, and just click the key to off and then run before the engine has time to stall, the gauge will usually recover and read correctly until the next time I shut it down. Unless the level is really low (like needs 13 gallons to be full again) in which case then it will stay down on or below empty instead of being the little bit above it that it was when I first bought the car.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 07-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I talked to someone who works at a gm dealership and he said usually when he sees that they replace the gauge cluster and they work fine but I dont know if thats the case or not. Any other ideas?