General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

a few days ago i blew a tire, and it caused me to pop a curb. it took me a day to get the tire replaced, and i thought my alignment might be off, or soemthing to do with the suspension (which im doing little by little right now) since my headers and oil pan weren;t damaged and as low as they are they would be the first things to go. tonight i hopped in it to take it out and noticed a loud clanking sound whenever i was in a gear without giving it gas or coasting in neutral. it was dark so i couldn't really get under it to check it out but its bothering the hell outta me... im thinking possibly the u-joint, tranny mount or my 12 bolt moser... i left it at my buddy's house cuz i didnt feel right driving it.... does anyone have any kind of experience or thoughts on this?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, where does the clank come from? The first thing I would check is the suspension components in the area of the tire that popped.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

^^ +1 You gotta get under it and look.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Teching In

yeah its the pinion seal from what i can see under there.... im just praying thats all and nothing else went with it, i guess ill find out tomorrow
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

so have you figured out of thats it? if its a pinion seal, lack of lube cold cause that noise. check trans fluid level too ;-)
Old 10-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Teching In

so i finally got to get the car out of the garage... went away for a while for an army school, but i pulled the drive shaft and found that the pinion nut was loose so i tightened is down the factory specs and brought i back home. the ride home was fine, but it definatly loosened itself up a little bit cuz i could hear the reared start to squeal a little bit as i pulled in.. im thinking i need to replace the pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, and pinion bolt... anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy these and how the installation will go? It was prolly one of the best feelings ever to be behid the wheel again.