General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window goes opposite

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default window goes opposite

well, I put a new window motor on the drivers side this weekend. besides being a PITA, it went ok. but, now it goes down when I hit up and up when I hit down. According to the box, I have the right electric motor. There is no way to plug the wires in wrong.

Is it possible to have that half moon gear (part that is driven by the motor) installed in the wrong position? It seems like no matter where I would have put that half moon gear, it would still travel in correct direction. Could the motor be wired wrong?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you pull the whole mess out of the door or just use the shbox method?

There is no way to get the stuff put together backwards. I've seen this before, usually a miswired motor issue. You can either get a different motor (use the shbox method of replacement!) or reverse the wires on the plug going to the motor.

Where did you get the motor from?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

I believe the shbox method. Just drilled out the rivits from the frame, then moved the assemble as close to the door and I could and poked the drill bit through whatever hole I could find to drill out the motor to frame rivits, bolted the new one on, and put it back together.

The shitty thing is the window motor came with the car when I bought it. Its from oreillys. I guess I could ask the previous owner for the reciept? I think I'd rather reverse the plugs on the motor than pull that crap back out. Can I just change the wires at the switch?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you just turn the switch 180 degs?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

havent thought of that. what way works so I can still have my auto down function?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had it happen before. I simply cut and switched the wires to the motor. It's way easier than pulling the whole thing out to swap it for another one that isn't wired backwards inside.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
havent thought of that. what way works so I can still have my auto down function?
You may have to sacrifice it for an auto up function instead...which would be kinda cool too.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

I have had it happen before. I simply cut and switched the wires to the motor. It's way easier than pulling the whole thing out to swap it for another one that isn't wired backwards inside.
Well, I'd rather have Oreillys pay to have it fixed correctly, but I know they wont since a customer did it, not a company. Did you switch the wires at the motor or the switch?

You may have to sacrifice it for an auto up function instead...which would be kinda cool too.
Ya, it is kinda neat to have that, but it was also nice having it go down automatically too... damn
Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I'd rather have Oreillys pay to have it fixed correctly, but I know they wont since a customer did it, not a company. Did you switch the wires at the motor or the switch?

Ya, it is kinda neat to have that, but it was also nice having it go down automatically too... damn
Just unplug it from the motor, and before that plug swap the wires. You'll have your auto down back and everything, it should work perfectly. If it's worth it for you to take it back out and swap it out at the parts store then go ahead, they should warranty it, they don't question much. I just didn't think it was worth it when it happened to me when I could swap wires in under 5 minutes

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

well, I wouldnt mind doing it again if they paid for labor is what I mean
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

There have been a lot of posts about this lately. Maybe there was a bad batch of re-man motors shipped in from god-knows-where?

If you want to swap the wires - no need to cut and splice. You can open the connector body and use a small screwdriver to pop out the terminals. Then, the terminals can be re-installed in the connector body.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Banned

I like that better. I guess while I'm at it, does anyone know where to get replacement door panels? mine already has a crack in it...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like that better. I guess while I'm at it, does anyone know where to get replacement door panels? mine already has a crack in it...
Cracks are real common with our cars. I'd just wrap the door panel in high quality vinyl or leather. There was a thread in the appearance section with someone who did it. I plan on doing it in a few months. And about the window motor, I just replaced mine a couple of days ago, and no problems here. I got mine from AZ though.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

To the best of my knowledge they can't be had yet. At some point in the future, we should be able to get them from Classic Industries. (They have panels for every other model except the last one.)