General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator?

So recently when im driving at night i notice my headlights kinda pulsating. The rest of the lights in the car dont pulsate or dim or anything. Last night i went to start the car and let it warm up, then when i put my foot on the brake pedal so i could take off the e-brake, i noticed my headlights dimmed really bad and most of the interior lights almost went off. It only happens when i first put my foot on the break pedal for half a second. also the rpm and speedomter kinda jump then go back to idle. When i drove it later in the night just around the block my radio kept cutting in and out and the dimming of everything happened when i applied the brake pedal. Also noticed my check gauges light would occationally flash. Anyone? alternator? I recently change the fuse for my windows.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah sounds like the alternator or battery take her to advance auto parts we'll test it for free If its a 98 t/a still on stock alternator and battery then i'd say yeah it's pretty much shot. Mine's on the fritz too it's time for a new one but I"m going to alterstart and buying one of theirs.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its weird because it only happens at night, other then that its normal
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlamps pull more amps than anything.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerokube
its weird because it only happens at night, other then that its normal
Obviously, go have the batt and alt checked. I would have the batt checked out of the car, or disconnected and no engine running.
But it doesn't really sound like a bad batt if it happens when you hit the brake pedal, sounds like a loose ground wire or short.

Only at night...weird.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so i thought it was my alternator and it wasnt, the connectors to my battery were corroded really bad. and i found out why my batter was getting drained also. My passenger side headlight motor will sometimes stay on even when the car and lights are off. weird?