General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark Plug Wires for LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plug Wires for LQ4

Like it says I'm looking for spark plug wires for my truck. I just changed plugs in it and would like to upgrade the wires too. I was just wondering what you guys are running and what you guys like. Thanks

Andie
Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taylor Thundervolt 10.4mm wires available at marylandspeed.com for a good price, run them on both camaros i had, no problems with cracking, arcing, fitment, nothing, good wires and deffinatly worth it.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my experience with wires. I had all my stuff in my sig (427ci, etc) installed at the same time. I figured I'd upgrade my wires too. Drove around with my 427ci for about 2 months with my GM factory wires till I bought some new ones though. Bought the Taylor Thunderbolts and everything was fine. Absolutely no better than the stock factory wires in performance. I went to do my first plug change months later and while pulling them off "properly by the boots" with my hands I think like 5 of the 8 broke and the wires broke though the boots and came apart. Whatever caused this isn't my point here.

Point and FACT is:
I kept my factory wires. Put them all back on and there is absolutely ZERO performance change between the factory wires and the Taylors and ZERO gas mileage change. NONE!!!!
There is nothing by way of better performance that an aftermarket wire like the Taylors or any other wire will offer until you start getting into serious horsepower like 700hp +.

I also bought some $36.00 Advance Auto Parts wires to try and they are 100% identical in performance and gas mileage as the GM factory wires. Right now I have my 12 year old factory wires back on there because a couple of the Advance Auto wires broke a couple years ago during a plug change. The factory GM wires are simply BADASS. 12 years old and perfect still.

SO......save yourself some money and go to Advance Auto and get new wires from them. They are built MUCH better and MUCH stronger than the Taylors. Even with a boot puller tool, which you cannot use on an LSx because you can't get to the plugs to use it.....my Taylors have broken and other people I know have broken them.

You simply DO NOT need special wires with a moderately built engine. Moderately being anything up to about 700hp or so.

Wires are just one of those things that just do not matter with moderate builds.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires for LQ4