General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition question

Just curious if anyone has ever successfully upgraded their ignition to a newer/non vats style ignition. Similar to what the 99-02 Blazer's, Tahoe's, and Malibu's had. I did a search and came up empty, plus I'm not that inclined on mechanical stuff. Just curious before I pay somebody to find out for me.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess that's a no
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should be able to simply remove the vats feature from the PCM via tune. I would think any reputable computer tuner should be able to turn off that feature. My 1998 A4 3.23 Z28 really woke up with the tune and it was a mailorder tune from EFIALCHEMY, a dyno tune would be even better. I didn't have the VATS tuned out but I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. Because it is part of the programming, you can't get rid of it by mechanical means unless you solder in resistors, but thats a pain in the ***. If I were you...I would simply take the car to a tuner for a good tune and have the vats removed or a mail-order tune, but keep in mind that the VATS systems is a theft deterant device and by you eliminating it, makes the car even easier to steal.